• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT UPDATE -Video- Hugos there? Really worried about twiglet-

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi,

As some of you may know I had two new baby bunnies noodle and twiglet on the 23rd of this month.

On the day we had them, twiglet was grunting which i put down to nervousness, never the less I booked them in for a health check for tomorrow.

Yesterday I was outside and twiglet made a really loud 'QUACK' noise when she was eating. She did it twice and I thought maybe some food went down the wrong hole. She went quiet and still for a minute and looked a bit shaken up but then carried on eating and playing.

I though nothing more of it but today (in front of me and my OH) she was cleaning but started doing it again 'QUACK' then a 3 second pause then 'QUACK'... About two hours later she had a huge sneezing fit which lasted about a minute and caused her whole body to shake with the force of it. I tried to stroke her to comfort her but it kept going. Clear fluid came down her nose but then she just hopped off and played with her toys.

I immediately called the vets as she is only 10 weeks old I had no idea what it could be. I drove to our nearest vetinary hospital and paid £76 for a consultation and a weeks worth of baytril.

The vet checked her really well, the discharge had gone, her ears were clear, he said she had some spurs coming on her right lower teeth but this had not caused any ulceration or cuts so was unlikely to be the problem.

He listened to her chest for ages and stuck a thermometer up the poor girls bum but said her chest sounded really clear. He prescribed a week of baytril 'in case' and gave her an injection of antibiotics. He thinks maybe the stress of moving house and being outside for the first time might be the cause. He doubts it is an allergy and said if it was pastuerella then she would have a white discharge...

Does anyone know what this is? She is running round fine now and playing. Just worried next time we go out she will be dead! Vet has said to return in a week if she is still suffering with these fits.

I bought a sachet of recovery just incase, I do have a bad feeling about this....

any ideas ???

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, someone elses bunny is quacking and sneezing.

I have this problem with Larry and I am sure the vets think I am insane. He never does it at the vets, despite being admited for a day :roll:

he has had chest x-rays and bloods taken, everything came back normal.

Don't know what else we can do for him.

Please can you let me know how Twiglet gets on and if it continues, and whether your vet comes up with anything :wave:

yeah deffo! and vice versa!

im thinking as she is a pet shop bunny that it may be a genetic disorder! The vet said it sounded like a behavioural problem but i cant see that myself...

you know maybe like a muscular spasm in the throat or something.....

how long has your bunny done this? its new to me and her litter mate is fine!

He has been doing it for a couple of months now. The other morning he seemed to be alternating between choking and sneezing for around 15 minutes. hasn't done it since :?

Will let you know of any developments, but we are pretty stumped at the moment :?

Try not to panick, there aren't any allergens like airfreshners or perfume or tobacco smoke near her? Keep her warm, lots of hay and fresh air I am sure she will be fine, build her up gradually, Kaths101 had the runt of a litter as I did and I do remember Gizmo sneezing for a couple of days - it will pass as she settles I am sure, main thing is to keep her warm and well fed. Give it time and don't stress too much. The baytril should nip anything in the bud hopefully, if it's stressful put it in her water maybe.

Try not to panick, there aren't any allergens like airfreshners or perfume or tobacco smoke near her? Keep her warm, lots of hay and fresh air I am sure she will be fine, build her up gradually, Kaths101 had the runt of a litter as I did and I do remember Gizmo sneezing for a couple of days - it will pass as she settles I am sure, main thing is to keep her warm and well fed. Give it time and don't stress too much. The baytril should nip anything in the bud hopefully, if it's stressful put it in her water maybe.

thanks, she is outside...no allergens, and we use wood based cat litter and no sawdust.....

just dont want her to suffer... she looked panicky just like the bunny in the video....

Thats quite upsetting:( ive never seen a rabbit do that before

its just like twiglets, I was devestated and was already ringing the vets within 1 minute of it happening...... But the weird thing was she was so happy afterwards just hopping about playing with her toys

its just like twiglets, I was devestated and was already ringing the vets within 1 minute of it happening...... But the weird thing was she was so happy afterwards just hopping about playing with her toys

Try to keep her really warm and cosy and lots of rest, she should be kept as quiet as poss and monitor her input and output really closely, if they are normal I would monitor it but, not panick, it could be a mild respiratory but, the baytril should remedy that. Either way she has had a lot of stress what with two new homes and then the vets visit, warmth and rest is more important now for a couple of days I think.

That video really sounds like the bun has something stuck in her airway, I have had a few throat infections which meant I had loads of mucus (sorry, I know, gross) and I would struggle to get it off my throat, this is what the bun on the video reminds me off..... is it possible that the bun could have mucus in its chest/throat?? Could be an idea for some baytril perhaps??

That video really sounds like the bun has something stuck in her airway, I have had a few throat infections which meant I had loads of mucus (sorry, I know, gross) and I would struggle to get it off my throat, this is what the bun on the video reminds me off..... is it possible that the bun could have mucus in its chest/throat?? Could be an idea for some baytril perhaps??

Vet says no mucus, and she is now on baytril but its a 'suck it and see' course

That sound comes from a similar place as Badger's noise. He has started a deep cough every so often and also a big splutter. His happens when he has been asleep and seems to be when he sleeps in certain positions and not others.

When Badger first started having problems we put it down to his spurs because they needed doing and the vet thought it was excess saliva. That cleared it up initially but then he started again. He showed now signs of any infection first of all, but now he does and he now has pneumonia (a lower respiratory infection).

For those noises I found a nebuliser worked instantly and after one session we saw such a vast improvement (I bought one from Maplins for £60). Also what we have noticed is that colder, cooler air doesn't help and makes him considerably worse, to the extent that if the heating comes on later he gets worse, and I can't have the window in my room open because he starts again.

I would wonder if you could bring him in to a less harsh air and see if that makes a difference?

Its horrible. Badger looks distressed after but carries on pretty much as normal as soon as he has settled.

Very strange that the chest and airways were checked and were clear as Simba sounded exactly like that when he started with pneumonia so would have said that it was some sort of respiratory problem :?

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

Back