• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is bonding always so difficult?!

beckie20

Mama Doe
I've recently been thinking that one day in the distant future, I'd like to get my 2 little ladies a hus-bun and I'm just wondering if bonding rabbits is always difficult?!

There seems to be a lot of posts from people having problems bonding their rabbits and I'm wondering if its just a case of the difficult cases needing questions to be answered while the easy introductions get no press? Or is that wishful thinking on my part!

Pictures of examples of easily bonded bunny groups more than welcome!!:D

xxx

I'm sure it's not always too difficult. When I bonded my single girl Caddy with Bramble, who'd been neutered by the rescue about 3 weeks before, they spent about an hour together in a run at the rescue while we watched. They seemed OK together except for the humping. I took him home and they spent a few days on neutral territory (a run on the floor of my spare bedroom) getting to know each other before they went out to their permanent home in the garden shed. The humping gradually stopped and they are now best mates. Good luck if you decide to try it!

I think spring is a bad time of year for bonding because even neutered buns get a bit of 'spring fever' and fights can break out....which is probably why you've seen lots of people posting about failed bondings recently.

the very first bond I ever did was a love at first sight-no chasing,fur pulling or even humping!!!:shock:They just sniffed each other lay down beside each other and that was that!!!:shock::love: Gave me a really false impression of bunny bonding as I later found out with my second bonding :oops::oops:

It totally depends on the personalities of the buns I think. One of my bonds was far easier than the other. If you've got 2 feisty dominant girls, you might want to get a gentle submissive boy :love:
And I would definatly wait until spring has passed and everybuns calmed down ;)
xxx

It totally depends on the personalities of the buns I think. One of my bonds was far easier than the other. If you've got 2 feisty dominant girls, you might want to get a gentle submissive boy :love:
And I would definatly wait until spring has passed and everybuns calmed down ;)
xxx

Everybuns - lol, that made me smile! :D

I won't be getting another bunny soon, I was just wondering for future reference! I don't know that either of my girls are particularly dominant, Sugar is far more nosey and adventurous while Spice is much, much quieter and reserved. Sugar will be the troublemaker if there is any trouble! I'd like to work on bringing Spice out of herself a bit more before I introduce another though.

It's just so lovely to see them together. But they're only just coming up to a year old - far to young to be thinking about boys!!

xxx

i would actually like to differ on this, ive only had 2 predictable ones all my others have been complete surprises so ive now given up on just going on personality, its more thrown them in ( not actually throw them )and hope

while i do think personalities play a bigger parts than breed sex or size, just be prepared for surprises:lol:

My bun is a male he is going to get spayed and i want to introduce a female so he has company do they have to be togethor from a young age or could i just introducce them to each other at any point in there lives

My bun is a male he is going to get spayed and i want to introduce a female so he has company do they have to be togethor from a young age or could i just introducce them to each other at any point in there lives

bonding a wholeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee another thing :lol::lol: but one im prepared to give step by step help, if you want it,

trying to count the amount of members i have on my phone now :lol:

first things first boy neutered,prices starts at £45 pounds, ( you get a girl from a rescue she will be neutered and vaxed, it will cost, but alot of the time works out alot cheaper than buying new bun neutering and vaxing )

so ring round vets, get him done, then once spring ( as it is the worst season for buns neutered or not :lol: ) is out the way or 6 to 8 weeks after neuter is best for hormones to subside, i know agessssssssssss but it needs to be done right,

orrrrrrrrrrrr on the plus side some rescues will bond for you :D

bonding a wholeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee another thing :lol::lol: but one im prepared to give step by step help, if you want it,

trying to count the amount of members i have on my phone now :lol:

first things first boy neutered,prices starts at £45 pounds, ( you get a girl from a rescue she will be neutered and vaxed, it will cost, but alot of the time works out alot cheaper than buying new bun neutering and vaxing )

so ring round vets, get him done, then once spring ( as it is the worst season for buns neutered or not :lol: ) is out the way or 6 to 8 weeks after neuter is best for hormones to subside, i know agessssssssssss but it needs to be done right,

orrrrrrrrrrrr on the plus side some rescues will bond for you :D

Im one!!Im one!!!! I did a bond All BY Myself!!! with phonecalls!!!!!!!! and I have 2 gorgous happy bunnies in one cage and another 2 in another cage!!!!!!(but I had somebun here for that one..Teddys Mummy!!)
Its just nerve wracking...and a few sleepless nights......

Im one!!Im one!!!! I did a bond All BY Myself!!! with phonecalls!!!!!!!! and I have 2 gorgous happy bunnies in one cage and another 2 in another cage!!!!!!(but I had somebun here for that one..Teddys Mummy!!)
Its just nerve wracking...and a few sleepless nights......

:lol::lol: and you were fantastic, :D first lady who more paniced at the fact they are not fighting :lol:

I even felt the reliefe in your texts that youd seen some action :lol:

:lol::lol: and you were fantastic, :D first lady who more paniced at the fact they are not fighting :lol:

I even felt the reliefe in your texts that youd seen some action :lol:

I tell you, these two are so loved up...in a "Been married for years" way....just total companionship.
if youre ever down this way,do give me a bell!! They are a Must See...!!!!

Trip and Scarlett's bonding was no problem at all, I drove them in my car for about an hour then put them into their new hutch and run and there was never any chasing or anything they just got on from the beginning. And this was all before Scarlett was even spayed! They were separated for a few days when she was recovering from her spay a couple of months later, because I was concerned she was running about and playing too much having just had the op, but again when I put them back together they were totally fine

Trying to bond my other two was a nightmare and it didn't work out :( It totally depends on the bunnies, you won't know how its going to go until you try it, but easy bondings do happen :)

I tell you, these two are so loved up...in a "Been married for years" way....just total companionship.
if youre ever down this way,do give me a bell!! They are a Must See...!!!!

See, this is how I want my two boys to be. I only got the youngest for company for the eldest and I hate that the older one adores the youngster yet he nips at him and humps his head :(

I started a thread about bonding yesterday and have received some great advice. Having read this thread though, I am wondering if I need to wait until spring has sprung off....?

it's not always difficult, just mainly so :lol:. When Spike met Kiki in the kitchen at the Rescue, he jumped into the crook of my arm - such a Mummys boy :love:. I gently put him back down and they got on so well, they came home together, it was that quick :love: It probably helped that neither of them had front teeth so the worst they could do if it got nasty, was to gum each other.

Bugsy has recently been introduced into my pair of Totti and Kiki after Spikes passing. Took a few days but fine at the Rescue then fine at home in the hutch. However, Totti does nibble Bugsy when they free range in the garden so they are being confined until totally happy together.

The point I'm trying to make is that the process still continues when you get them home and they still need watching for a while. So worth it in the end though :love:

Back