• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

found brownish, crusty stuff by male bunnies privates

amme

Warren Scout
Is this normal as i havnt noticed it before. Where the tail is there are slits either side, these were covered in a brown crusty layer and when i looked inside( opened it up a bit ) there seemed to be stuff inside.

matted fur on loinhead

how do i undo this- is as simple as cutting it off?????? please advice me as this is my first lionhead.

Hi,
I have a male lionhead and he definatly doesnt have this so I dont think its normal. Could it be poos that have got stuck to the area?
Sorry I cant be more help
xxx

That sounds like the scent glands. They are either side of the anus and they have a black/brown sort of waxy substance in. Also, if you open them up, they stink!

All rabbit have these, but some rabbits scent more than others, causing more of the waxy substance.

You can clean them with cooled, boiled water and use a cotton bud to gently wipe it out. Its a very sensitive area so it needs to be done carefully so as not to cause any irritation or problems.

That sounds like the scent glands. They are either side of the anus and they have a black/brown sort of waxy substance in. Also, if you open them up, they stink!

All rabbit have these, but some rabbits scent more than others, causing more of the waxy substance.

You can clean them with cooled, boiled water and use a cotton bud to gently wipe it out. Its a very sensitive area so it needs to be done carefully so as not to cause any irritation or problems.
yeah that sounds about right, thanks. I will sort it all out.

There shouldn't really be creamy coloured stuff (It should be brown and look like an apple pip). The creamy coloured stuff means that there is a slight infection/irritation or bunny can't clean herself very well (due to age, obesity, etc).

Regular cleaning out with a cotton bud (like Sky-O has suggested) should sort the problem out, but a visit to the vet might be needed if she carries on producing lots of creamy discharge despite regular cleaning.

Back