• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please am at my wits end

Please could I have some advice - I am at the end of my rope! :cry: Isaacs currently in stasis...
He's been to the vets, he's had lots of sub cut fluids... he's been given meatclop and metacam and bio lapis..... I am massaging his belly, and giving him infacol and pineapple juice. It's just impacted feacal matter... and I can feel the lump is moving down since yesterday. But I am really worried that he will refuse to pass it as it's still large. Is there anything I can give him to help him ease it out. He will be back with the bunny vet tuesday if things don't improve... I know stasis can take a long time to clear. I am just so worried. He's eaten very little - just a bit of parsley. I know he's probably full with the fluids. Is there anything else I can do ?
Also if the worst happens and he has to be pts - will Snowflake be okay without him- I can't get more animals because I have been at the vets every week this year and financially I just can't do it anymore. Snowflake was on her own with me for over a year befor he arrived.
Just when I was thinking he never gets sick he goes and does this - I feel awful :cry:
Any tips really needed please ! Also are there things I can suggest to the vet to do - last ditch attempt will be surgery but I know few rabbits survive that and I dont want him to suffer - so will make that decision when it comes I guess.

Sorry to hear your rabbit is in stasis, it is such a worry :(.

Are you going back to the vet tomorrow at all? If not, I would ask to, if only for pain relief and gut motility drugs because they will help.

When mine are in stasis, I find that getting them to hop around help a lot and keeping them warm (with their bunny friends of course). As the weather is not too bad, you could try letting him into a run on grass, he may hop about a bit more then and nibble a bit.

I'm soorry I'm not more helpful, lots of vibes,

FC x

On another forum I belong to, there is a guy who works with some of the best vets in the US. He says that a rabbit can do ok without eating in these situations as long as it is kept really hydrated. He also says that fluids (sub cut, and many of them) should help to rehydrate and sort the gut, allowing it to deal with the blockage.

I would be questioning getting more sub cuts done (even learning how to do them yourself so you can give them more often at home) to keep things moving that way. This guy doesn't like the use of gut stimulants because he says they cause painful gut spasms to get things moving, but obviously use of those is personal choice.

I do think constant pain relief is also important. And I also agree about exercise being so important too. Is he eating anything at the moment?

The fact its moving is a good thing, so keep on hoping and fighting with him.

If you do lose him then let Snowflake spend time with his body so that she understands where he has gone.

Please keep us updated. I sure hope that Isaac can pull through this.

Thanks- he has a run and I've been forcing him to move around. I've got the metacam and stuff at home, so he's been having it. I would go tomorrow but the vet that's on tomorrow will pts small animals without even trying but the one tuesday is really good and will do her best. God I know it's only been a few days but I can't wait for this to be over.

If he is drinking by himself then you can try different ways to entice him to drink more. If he doesn't use a bowl, then give him a bowl for now because they can drink easier from that (iuf you change the water regularly then he may drink more because they often drink more when its super fresh, so you could change every hour you're home or something). Also, its important to provide plain water, but you can also provide (in a separate bowl) water laced with something that might make it more desirable (vanilla essence, mint or chamomile tea infusions, fresh juices- just enough to make a difference, nothing concentrated). Be aware though that obviously introducing something new can upset a tummy, so do be careful. That would be a risk you would have to work out if you were willing to try.

4got to say Im giving him lots of fluids-bio lapis, cooled boiled water. Pineapple juice. He's nibbled a bit of parsley this morning. He doesnt 'look' that bad. Always looks better after fluids. How much fluids should I be giving per day. I don't want to overload him. Or is it a case of more the better? So stressed just dont want to be a bad mum. They are my life.

Hi,
So sorry to hear your buns in stasis. Its such a horrible terrifying time. Sounds like you're doing everything you can for him to me. When my bun was in stasis I found he perked up remarkably after he was given Metacloperamide, a gut stimulant, so maybe ask your vet about some more gut stimulant?
Maybe put a hot water bottle under his bed (if he has one) This will be very soothing for him and the heat will help get the gut going (obviously dont have it too hot!) Sorry I dont have any more advise, just wanted to pass on my good wishes for your bun xxx

Ditto what Jane said about fluid therapy...a medium sized rabbit in stasis needs at least 100mls of fluid per day...some of this can be orally, but a large amount of impacted matter in the guts can prevent water reaching the areas it is most needed...which is why sub-cut fluids are important. Something like 30mls of Hartmanns twice a day would be a good idea :wave:

My vet usually hits cases like this pretty hard, and gives pain killer, zantac, metaclop, pro-biotics, and an antibiotic such as baytril (as well as the sub-cut fluids)

Try to stay calm aswell and leave him to be 'normal' I think too much intervention is counter productive with rabbits, he needs normality - back off him for a while and leave him plenty of water, hay etc they need time to help themselves heal aswell. If he has had all the appropriate meds and has nibbled some parsley I think he is fighting it and will get well, if not he would have refused to eat at all, try to relax and sending calming vibes for him and you, it does take time so stay relaxed.

Had a bit of a cry- decided to stop worrying. Got them out and he's done a poop. Only one- but properly formed. I know it was his gots it was still a bit him. Felt his tummy its a lot softer so hopefully its moving down. Thanks 4 the fluid amount- realised I've been a few mls short. However my lovely vet said not to give metacam on an empty belly she was a bit reluctant to give it cos of it not being licensed 4 rabbits. I am trying to get him to eat without much sucsess- can I still give it? Dont want him in pain. My mums taking him in 1st thing tuesday 4 a drip. Im only at work 4 an hour tomorrow so he wont be left a whole day without.

Do you have some critical care? If he is in pain, he wont eat, so I would give the metacam. What dose have they recommended? What town are you in - in case there is a rabbit savvy vet that can be recommended?

Last edited:
i know it might sound abit silly, but Bailey had a really bad bout of stasis 3 weeks ago, she was on roughley the same as your bun apart from no metacam and she was on fibreplex paste and baytrill antibiotic, she also had a hydration injection, she was in the vets for 2 nights and 3 days having injections everyfew hours, everytime i phoned they said the same she still hasnt eaten or drunk anything shes just siting hunched looking moody, so i asked if i could go in when they were closed to see if i could encourage her, i went in twice a day for 2 days afternoon and evening (hour round trip to the vets aswell!) and sat there with her for an hour offering her food and massaging her belly, on day 3 i phoned up and she had passed lots of poo's over night and had started drinking aswell, the vet said that it was down to me going to see her and the meds, also once the overnight nurse saw how much i cared she stayed up with bailey after i left doing what i had done rubbing her belly and offering her food, this was the best way i felt even though i didnt like leaving her the mix of vet care and me turning up every now and then really helped. the best food i can think for you to offer her to get her guts moving and what i think helped bailey recover is burgess excel country garden herbs, its dried up in a bag and this was all she would eat for about 5 days, its full of fibre aswell and really saved her, hope this post helps..

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear your bunny died last night.
I lost a bunny the same way last year, eveything was done for him but nothing saved him. Its a cruel way to lose a beloved pet.

:shock: On no I am really sorry to hear that, I hoped as he'd eaten a bit of parsley it was a good sign, what a distressing time for you, I am so sorry he wasn't able to recover :cry:

Back