• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excessive drinking

cazh

Warren Scout
Hello :wave:

My rabbit George seems to be just drinking and drinking from his water bottle. Ever since last night he's been costantly at it, he's nearly drunk the whole bottle (which is really unususal because he doesn't normally drink an awful lot from his bottle as he gets lots of water from his daily greens). He's been weeing a lot and i've had to clean his litter tray out once today already as it's completely saturated.

His diet hasn't changed, he is still eating well - he ate all his greens last night, he's been eating hay all morning and has finished most of his dried food. I just can't think why he's suddenly drinking ALL the time. He seems perfectly happy.

I'm taking him to the vet first thing tomorrow but for now I just wondered if I should take the bottle out? I know drinking is good but I honestly can't make him stop.

No, please dont take his water out.

It sounds as though he may have either an acute UTI or an acute renal/liver problem.

Has he lost weight recently ?

No he's not lost weight. He had his myxomatosis vac on Thursday and the vet checked him then and said he was fine. Apart from the excessive drinking and urinating, he's eating, pooing and moving around as normal...

I might take him to the emmergency vet today.

I wonder if it might be related to his myxi vacc. Out of my 17, most of them drink a lot more for the first 24 hours after their myxi vacc and then settle down. However, I know this is outside the first 24 hour bracket, so do wonder if something else is going on. Maybe give the vet a call and ask?

He seems to be shuffling around in an odd way. I noticed last night when he was out he was lying down but sticking his bum up in the air. There is definitely something up.

I called the emmergency vets and they asked if the urine had changed colour, to which i said no because it's still the same colour it has always been.

I imagine to determine an infection they'd need to do some tests. I'm just undecided whether to take him there this afternoon in case they can't tell just by looking at him, or go to the usual vets in the morning.

I would suggest taking him so at the very least you can get him on some pain relief immediately because he sounds pretty uncomfortable.

It sounds as though he has cystitis which may be the result of a UTI or uroliths (bladder stones)/bladder sludge.

I agree that taking him to the Vet today is a good idea as *if* it's cystitis it'll be pianful so he'll need analgesia and if he has an infection he'll need abx

Good luck

Back