• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Such a poorly bun :(

holidayhutch

Warren Veteran
We have such a poorly bun staying here at the moment. He is absolutely gorgeous but literally a bag of bones. He has no teeth at all, a huge abcess on his jaw and a really yukky eye. He has metacam, septrin, baytril and eye drops. He literally cant eat on his own and you have to syringe feed him every few hours, but he even struggles with that. He is also losing his hair. His partner is so protective of him too and is going to miss him terribly when he's gone. He has lost over half a kilo in 3 days and there is just 1.3 kilos of him left:(

The vet says there are no restrictions at all on his diet and to just get down him whatever we can. The owners left 2 fresh corn cobs for him. He has had about a tablespoon of porridge for breakfast, and I've just given him some mashed banana with a little critical care mixed in, we have pureed sweet corn, carrot and brocolli to try next.

Vibes for this gorgeous boy please, he has been coming to us for years and always been ill, but never this poorly. :(

Baytril and Septrin aren't going to help a jaw abscess...sounds awful but they may as well have him pts now than bother with these meds. :(

Is there any way you could persuade his owners to find a vet who is going to give him a fighting chance by putting him on a medication known to be effective for abscesses?

Baytril and Septrin aren't going to help a jaw abscess...sounds awful but they may as well have him pts now than bother with these meds. :(

Is there any way you could persuade his owners to find a vet who is going to give him a fighting chance by putting him on a medication known to be effective for abscesses?

The abcess has been removed several times and just keeps coming back. Tbh they know he hasn't got long left and just hoped he might see one last spring/summer and enjoy the sunshine. He was out in one of our runs all day yesterday and loved it, but is so weak bless him, you're almost frightened to pick him up he is so delicate. It doesn't help that he is long haired either so trying to keep him unmatted whilst he is so poorly is no easily task, although he doesn't have much left in places.

I have spoken to his vet and been told he sees this rabbit every week. The owners pick him up tommorow night and I will be having words with them. I do think it is a case of him being kept alive for them and am just trying to find the words to tell them it would be kinder to let him go without offending them best I can.

Is there a medication you would recommend I could suggest to them and their vet.

I have spoken to his vet and been told he sees this rabbit every week. The owners pick him up tommorow night and I will be having words with them. I do think it is a case of him being kept alive for them and am just trying to find the words to tell them it would be kinder to let him go without offending them best I can.

I don't envy you there :( I hope they listen to your advice and are able to make the right decision for their bunny. They obviously love him very much.

I did use a combination of Septrin and Baytril with Franks infection after his eye removal. It worked really well with the 2 together but I realise this isn't the same as trying to penetrate an abscess

Back