• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please vibes berties had a seizure :(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
almost an hour ago poor berties had a full blown seizure:cry:

he was fine even charging around after stealing a ready salted crisp packet and getting narked because it was empty and i chased him and got it back.
He was mooching around getting nose rubs etc.
So i put up his meds ready to give to him and our cat salem was begging for his as he was in pain too. came back into the lounge..nikki was patting him playing with his tail how he loves to play. suddenly he went down on his legs and began shaking and twitching..it was similar to what willow did when she was dying:( then he turned round or tried to and he was facing me.
suddenly he rolled and i rushed forward thinking he was dying like willow did and something made me gently hold his head so it didnt hit the floor and i relaised with horror that he was having a full blown seizure:(

hes been recovering since it happened and hes just got up and eaten some food then get up and have a drink. Then just then i stopped typing because he was begging for a nose rub..hed already gone for me before he got up.
hes eaten two carrot treats and laid down to wash his paws and hes laying down next to his food bowl.

i rang the emsworth vet and she said to leave him in a dark quiet room with a soft blanket to keep him warm. she said if i bring him out the risk of him dying of a heart attack because of the stress is very common after a seizure!she said she could come out but it would be £350..ok ive not got it but id pay it if itd help. but she said theres not much she could do now except give him his metacam anyway.
the other vets dont do home visits emergency as only one vet one nurse to cover...emsworth vet only has the vet who does have to leave the animals in between calls.
both said to try to give him his metacam and hes just taken it..he was so good and then ran after me waiting for his carrot stick!!
he approached nikki for a nose rub too.
hes crashd again by his food bowl..i am making sure hes not mouth breathing and not fitting again....its dark in the lounge and i am sleeping downstairs on the bed settee anyway.
gona be a long night and vets have told me if he getsw worse ring em up and go there....if he is ok overnite then ring them say 9am.

i am leaving him alone but he came up for a nose rub.......i couldnt ignore him :(

he was due to be panacured but the emsworth vet said not to panacur him till we got his feet better and he was finding it easier to breathe.
omg e cuniculi.......or could be abscesses from pasturella.....or as one vet said..even an infection.

i will post updates...
could anyone else with experience help me help him.?

Given Bertie's significant problems it may be that he now has abscessation effecting his brain :cry:
Unfortunately elongated tooth roots can cause this :cry:

Or his liver may be effected- advanced liver disease can cause seizures :cry:

I would keep him in a quiet room with no light stimulation from TV/PC screens etc and contact the Vet again ASAP today.

Sending vibes for poor Bertie :cry:

I'm so sorry to hear that Bertie is so ill, it must be a huge worry. :( Sending lots of vibes. xxxx

He perked up to the extent it was though it had never happened except he was a bit wobbly.

i have rung the vets and they said not to stress him out today with a longish car ride..but made me an appointment with my local vet..ellens away but im going to ask for tests ie blood tests and recheck his ears as the infection could be worse and id like his paws checked.

on medirabbit it gave possible causes as being infection.....gi stasis which he began yesterday morning and i helped with by giving him metaclopramide syrup.
Also the ear infection he had maybe back or even worse
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

anyone recommend a panel of tests apart from bloodwork for EC?

yes jane sadly its the first thing that went through my mind...pasturella causes all sort of problems especially abscessess inside and outside the body..even the brain.

i will update once ive been to the vets but in the meantime if anyone can advise me on what to ask for test wise?

Thank you.....

im cancelling my hospital appointment tomorrow as itll be too much of a rush and i dont want to leave him alone and vunerable:(

hes seeing the vet at 10.20am..vibes and fingers crossed..please.

Back