• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dont know what to do.......

Becca24

Mama Doe
I have just had an email from the breeder of the bun I am getting from her to ask if I would be interested on taking on the mum as she is getting very stressed and will no longer be having any litters. This girl is gorgeous sooooo pretty with a lovely temperament. BUT I just dont think I can at the moment and I feel very torn about what to do. I considered breeding a while back and this is one the reasons I decided against it, I feel a bit like she is no longer useful and so being passed on and I was under the impression that these were loving pets not breeding machines- how wrong was I.

Heres the thing, I am currently looking for a nice 6x2x2 hutch with run for my little boy, I know exactly how much vets fees are going to be and I know that I can afford this and there will be no problem. If I take on mum too, its another 6x2x2 hutch for her, cost for her to be spayed, I know this isnt that much extra but I just dont think I can afford it at the moment.

I have said on another thread that want to ideally get my little boy, neuter him get him settled etc then perhaps bond him with a speyed female from rescue. (I have now found a rescue which is literally on the same estate as me which I never knew existed)!!

I just dont know what to do, my husband has said no that I havent kept rabbits for nearly 3 years while I was pregnant and had my daughter and that I should take step at a time, but I feel bad for my boys mum!!

Big siiigggghhh!!!!

i think you should let you head rule on this occasion. as horrible as it may feel you need to think of your existing family and if you dont have space/time/money for more than you can handle then you may live to regret your decision. no matter how much she pulls your heartstings your head is the one that should make the decision over whether you can take her or not.

What will the Breeder do with the Doe if you dont take her ?

Does the Breeder cull ?

Good question Jane. I naively thought breeder bunnies used to stay with them forever.

It wasn't until I picked Trixie up from the rescue that they enlightened me. I couldn't believe some of the stories I heard about bunnies that had reached the end of their 'useful' life :cry:

What will the Breeder do with the Doe if you dont take her ?

Does the Breeder cull ?

She will advertise her for rehoming on her website. I know the breeder has no more babies left so this might work in mums favour and she is soo lovely im sure no one would be able to resist her!

I dont understand why she cant spey her and just let her retire!

I know how you feel as Eric and Ernies mum was also going to be re-homed recently, as she was not going to be bred any more.I was asked if I wanted her. I didn't ask any further questions as I knew I couldn't take on another bun. It breaks my heart to think she may have gone to someone who won't love her as much as we all would, but sometimes you have to let your head rule your heart, and that is something that is hard to do.

I too don't understand why they can't be retired and left to live out their days happily with a partner.:cry::cry:

I cant stop thinking about it, I even called my mum and asked if she would have her but she can't!

I am just going to have to say no and hope that someone takes her on who will love her, what does make me sad is that she will have been replaced and probably by one of her own babies!!

She will advertise her for rehoming on her website. I know the breeder has no more babies left so this might work in mums favour and she is soo lovely im sure no one would be able to resist her!

I dont understand why she cant spey her and just let her retire!

Because that would be too expensive

Back