• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Furminator, who else has this wondeful tool?

Hopper

Mama Doe
Anyone else have this excellent grooming tool? Pauline from Thorneywood Cat Rescue told me about this a few months ago and thought I would try it as she rates it. With running a rescue and having several pets of my own, even though short haired they are still groomed.

The furminator is a tool designed to groom out the dead under coat and strip it out, especialy good in moulting seasons like now, and if your lots anything like mine, this years moulting is the worst! Even my short haired male staff is moulting crazy!

I groom them all every day and generaly use a tangle comb and a standard brush, which I always thought was good! Then I used the furminator which I use every week or so now. OMG I was stunned at the amount of under coat and dead fur that came out, leaving their coats silky soft, lush and shinier!

Here is the only grooming brushes and combs I use now. The comb is for de matting and knotting, the pink standard brush for every day brushing and the furminator for stripping dead under coats out and conditioning:

groomingtools.jpg

Here is a video of me doing two of my buns today. I didnt include Dreama's as she has a different coat to my boys and nothing harldy came out. You can see the amount of fur its taking out which is all the dead lose under coat. I did the rabbits, the cats and the dogs today and filled half a black bin bag almost! Once you have done this they hardly moult as much if at all because your removing it for them.

Please excuse the state of me, I look a scruff most days as working hands on with animals :oops::D

Wow, I always wondered if they were as good as they look on the video in pet shops!!! Will def look into investing in one, especially for my cat!

I have a cheap copy version of it, pet shedder it's called I think :lol: It's excellent, really evens out a rabbits coat, and dosen't thin it as long as you don't press too hard. I would even reccomend it for show rabbits :)

I have one and Fudge HATES it with a passion. she grunts at it, attacks it and i wouldnt be surprised if she shot poo at it :lol:

If she sees it coming she runs mental grunting :roll:

I find it too harsh to use on her, she has a really thin coat and although she is moulting alot it seems to pull the fur to much, which is why she hates it!

I ran it through my hair and it hurt so i dont use it any more, Fab product if it didnt pull so much.

that looks amazing i would be a little worried it would take too much fur out and then they would be cold. what does it do pull the dead hair out of the roots.
might research into getting one for my bunny as she is moulting like crazy being half angora and half lion head

oh i dont know whether to order on one hand it would be great to help moulting but i dont want to hurt them :?

When you use it your only meant to drag it along the fur and not put any pressure on at at all. It strips under dead coat and doesnt thin it out as you would think. It doesnt tug either as like I said you just drag it across the fur with no pressure. It shouldnt touch the skin at all. Ive tried it on my own hair and my sons and we felt no discomfort or pain. Infact my lads a sod for for using it on his hair as it smooths it out real nice :roll::lol:

The top coat is left silky soft and shiney. Oliver has a thin coat and as you can see loads came out doing him, but when you touch him his coat isnt any thinner as to say as it has only removed the dead fur underneath (hair thats already lose)

Tigerbabe, yes thats the one!

oh i dont know whether to order on one hand it would be great to help moulting but i dont want to hurt them :?

It doesnt hurt them, I wouldnt use it if it did. I find it easier on them than the rest of the brushes and combs I have. If I press it down on my hand and drag it hard it doesnt hurt me.

Yeh, dreama has a real thick coat, yet when I did her hardly anything came out :?:lol: Olivers was the worse of them all.

I do the cats and dogs also, the furniture and carpets and our clothes were plastered in dog fur, real bad aswell.

I've had one for a while - it's brilliant for the cat but the buns hate it, it seems to pull the fur too much I think.

OMG. I saw one of these in the vets last week and asked the nurse if she'd used one or whether I could try before I buy! Might have to go and buy it now. I spent half an hour getting bloomin white fur off my black coat on Weds. Grrr everything is moulting. Might try it on the ponies too.

If people get one, when grooming I would reccomend that you stroke the bun lightly with the brush, rather than use it as you would a comb or any other brush, otherwise you may leave your bun with bald patches. Then again furminator is probably a bit different to mine, but I've still heard similar advice.

I am intrigued by this. Smudge moults but the fur gets kinda stuck in amongst the other fur.

I have one and recomend it I use it on my persian cat rough collie , papillon dog border collie and tabby cats as all the rabbits I wouldn't be without it

If people get one, when grooming I would reccomend that you stroke the bun lightly with the brush, rather than use it as you would a comb or any other brush, otherwise you may leave your bun with bald patches. Then again furminator is probably a bit different to mine, but I've still heard similar advice.

I have one and it really does work to get off all that fur that was flying around the house. Julie was shedding bad. The hair came off in masses. She didn't mind at all in fact she seemed to really enjoy it. I didn't press hard but once I was finished I noticed how uneven her fur looks. While I was doing it there was so much fur coming off that I couldn't tell that it was doing this. It left patterns and a bald spot. Her fur looks looks a mess. It definitely didn't hurt her though.
I am not sure what to do now. She looks very strange.

Back