• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it ok to pick them up yet?

cally73

Young Bun
Following on from previous threads about my locum vet mis-sexing my rabbits :censored: some of you may be aware Snowy has had her litter I was just wondering if its ok to pick up the babies yet. They are 6 days old. I have kept peeping at the nest each day to check they are still alive but I am desperate to hold and touch one. From what I have read on the net it is quite conflicting. Mum is very laid back and comes and watches and licks me when I check on the nest. Mum loves a nose rub but does not like being held. I am probably being too impatient i just want to have a good luck at them and check them over. What do you think? Do I need to wait. Mum is an indoor rabbit so she is very relaxed with us all.

I'm not an expert I'm afraid, but I know lots of people handle the babies from birth - usually to check their tums are nice and round. I think it's probably a good idea to start handling them now so they get used to human contact as soon as possible.

I've read in previous theads that it's best to rub your hands in some rabbit litter before handling the kits, as you don't want them to pick up your smell.

Back