PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to pick them up yet?

cally73
27-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Following on from previous threads about my locum vet mis-sexing my rabbits :censored: some of you may be aware Snowy has had her litter I was just wondering if its ok to pick up the babies yet. They are 6 days old. I have kept peeping at the nest each day to check they are still alive but I am desperate to hold and touch one. From what I have read on the net it is quite conflicting. Mum is very laid back and comes and watches and licks me when I check on the nest. Mum loves a nose rub but does not like being held. I am probably being too impatient i just want to have a good luck at them and check them over. What do you think? Do I need to wait. Mum is an indoor rabbit so she is very relaxed with us all.

Hoppit!
27-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm not an expert I'm afraid, but I know lots of people handle the babies from birth - usually to check their tums are nice and round. I think it's probably a good idea to start handling them now so they get used to human contact as soon as possible.

antigone
27-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I've read in previous theads that it's best to rub your hands in some rabbit litter before handling the kits, as you don't want them to pick up your smell.