• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Babies

joannajane

Young Bun
first off let me apologise, all you experts have probably had all of these questions asked before and i had a little look but haven't managed to find exactly my situation. :D
basically, we currently have edward. an un-neutered 3 month old netherland dwarf. as you may have seen in another thread, i'm looking to get him neutered once the vet says it's okay.
now, i have heard from breeders that it's best to bond them as babies...but then this poses the question of, you'll have to split them again for the duration and recovery time of the operation?
technically, i guess edward isn't a baby anymore. we may be picking up a baby girl this evening, so is it best to keep her in another room until they are both neutered and recovered? or will it be okay to keep them side by side...or will this just irritate edward...
thanks a lot! and sorry for the silly questions. :oops:

I think I'd keep them separate, get both done asap, then bond. I'm not sure when females become fertile, but our two males became hormonal at around 4 months - humping, fighting, spraying urine all over, pooping everywhere. If you put them together now, you may end up with unwanted babies or an aggressive/frustrated male.

If you mean side by side but not fully together, I would still stay keep them totally apart and do the full bonding when they are speyed and recovered. If they are semi-introduced to each other but don't get on, I would imagine that it will make proper bonding later on a bit harder to do.

yep thank you very much. we decided just to keep her in another room as they're both nearly the same age (one week difference). so hoping to get both of them done around the same time and once healed, can hopefully bond in a month or so.
very excited about bella, she's such a sweetheart!

Back