• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very scared new bunny

Hi there

Im new to the forum but my partner and I have had our gorgeous white lop bunny Jessie for a week now. Hes an indoor bunny with a huge cage and has free reign to hop in and out and around as he pleases round our downstairs area.

We brought him from someone who just kept him in his shed in the dark so it must have been a very strange new environment (and daylight) for him so we have been so so careful and gentle with him. He seemed happy enough until this morning. For some reason he darted out of his cage at 90mph racing around the room terrified. I didnt hear any loud noises and me and my partner were quite concerned. He darted back in his cage and is just hiding in a little compartment in his cage and wont be enticed out. Im really worried about him. He has been sneezing a lot these past few days too but his nose feels ok and i kept sawdust in his cage to a minimum.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? xx

Pop a couple of drops of rescue remedy on his nose or in his water. I''ve used this on many animals with fantastic results!

oh zooming about and scaring themselves is normal rabbit behaviour, if it becomes an everyday thing then id be concerned but tilly and ruby whiz about the kitchen if i enter the room sometimes, even though 3 mins before we were all having a cuddle. drama queens! x

thanks guys thats much appriciated. Just want him to feel safe and secure. Hes still very very jumpy and nervous. Im just going to leave him in his cage to calm down for a while. Then maybe sit next to him for a while.

Will deffo get that remedy to put under his nose :)

Ours are outside but they do that too - sat quietly then race around like a bat out of hell. It is alarming but I don't think it necessarily means they are scared or unhappy.

One of ours is very timid and aggressive at times. But....they love love love those pellets, so hand-feeding is the way to get Misty to come to you. She (it's actually a he but my 7 year old still thinks it's a girl, so we call him 'her') won't be stroked but will eat from your hand. I would try this with pellets and little treats. It's great that you have saved a rabbit from a miserable life. Lucky bunny.

I agree that it's normal bun behaviour. I would cover his cage with a blanket though (just on top I mean) to make him feel a little more secure. As you say it will have been strange for him, the sudden change in environment.

Is he neutered? If not, I'd get him done ASAP as in my expereince a nervy bun calms down a lot once they've been 'done'. If he is already, why not adopt a girlie bun from a rescue centre? Everybun needs a companion of their own kind to snuggle with, groom, play with and 'talk' to. A wifey will probably also help him feel happier, and therefore more relaxed.

Last edited:
:wave: sounds like a gorgeous bunny.. My bunnies sometimes do this too - I think if he was REALLY scared he wouldnt leave his cage..
To get mine used to me I lay on the floor on my front and let them sniff you -lay really still and dont move and eventually they will start to clamber all over you - may take a few days, weeks but they need to learn to trust you..

Also cupboard love is a good way to bond with them - hand feed a few tasty treats like herbs or something he really likes - he will soon associate you with 'good' things..

Good luck
(p.s I wouldnt use sawdust at all - its not recommended - I use newspaper with a large layer of hay)

Hi there

Im new to the forum but my partner and I have had our gorgeous white lop bunny Jessie for a week now. Hes an indoor bunny with a huge cage and has free reign to hop in and out and around as he pleases round our downstairs area.

We brought him from someone who just kept him in his shed in the dark so it must have been a very strange new environment (and daylight) for him so we have been so so careful and gentle with him. He seemed happy enough until this morning. For some reason he darted out of his cage at 90mph racing around the room terrified. I didnt hear any loud noises and me and my partner were quite concerned. He darted back in his cage and is just hiding in a little compartment in his cage and wont be enticed out. Im really worried about him. He has been sneezing a lot these past few days too but his nose feels ok and i kept sawdust in his cage to a minimum.

Does anyone have any suggestions please? xx

Hey hun, welcome to rabbit love, your life will never be the same again;)
I wouldn't be too worried about your babbit speeding around, Snuggs is a real monkey fro doing it randomly, in fact I have just postd about her lol!
As longs he isn't shaking or scared I would just say enjoy and relax xx
claire xx

Back