• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ecuniculi - Twinklee and Dobbin - Please help

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Just taken twinkle to vets as she is slightly dragging her back right leg behind her. Vet thinks it is ecuniculi. She is treating both her and Dobbbin. All i know is bad things from this. Please help me, what should i expect and what is going to happen?

She has also lost 200grams.

She developed sores on the back of her heels - the vet was unsure why - it is now apparent why - because she thinks she may have been dragging her feet behind her but not enough for us to notice.

I feel awful - vet says 2 - 3days and she will either perk up or get worse. I am so so so worried.

All help and vibes are hugely appreciated!

Sue
xxxxxx

Poor Twinkle :cry:

I assume the Vet has prescribed a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur or Lapizole) for both Buns aswell as Metacam for Twinkle ?

What substrate are they kept on ? As Twinkle has sore hocks she needs a deep soft bedding such as shortcut hay/soft straw. Shortcut to avoid the risk of long strands getting twisted around weak hind legs.

Is she eating and pooing OK ?

Sending lots of vibes

Vet gave her a steroid injection. We have nine days of panacur for both of them. Then to take them back - if not been back before.

They are on carpet, sheets and towels!!

Sue
xx

OK, did the Vet mention antibiotic cover as a corticosteroid has been given ?

It's just that whilst corticosteroids have an good anti-inflammatory action Rabbits are very sensitive to the side effects-immunosuppresion being a significant one. The last thing a Bun fighting EC needs is a secondary bacterial infection to flare up.

My Inca is in the recovering stages of having EC and associated hind leg weakness. She lives with her partner Herbie. Both buns have had a 6week course of panacur, some say that 28days is enough, but i wanted to go for the 6 weeks to be sure.

She also had quite a few steroid injections in the early stages, she would have the injection and be able to get about great, then it would start to wear off and she would be dragging her legs again. She had antibiotic injections (ceporex) along side these steroids, this is important as per Janes thread.
After the steroids, we changed to Metacam for Inca, which she is still on.

I find that carpet isn't very good for my bunnies hocks. Two of my bunnies just spent the week with my parents and apparently were running around a binkying on the carpet all the time but when I checked their feet both had worn the fur around the back of the heels and the skin was quite red. I've got them on fleece now to try to help them recover.

Good luck with the EC. I think they should really have 28 days of panacur as a minimum. I also found Metacam helped a lot when my bunny Lola had EC.

I've put this link on another thread....promise I don't work for Gentrix!!!!! Get yourself some lapazole, plenty of metacam and try science recovery to keep her weight going-if you use it as a liquid find a calpol syringe.I've found making it into a paste(with the metacam works well) and spreading it on a cracker. Yes I know buns shouldn't have carbs but when they're poorly and with the recovery it's good to keep them eating!

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/...ct_id=120010?gclid=CNCj1bvw3qACFSU8lAodM0r9Fg

Good luck xxxx

Back