• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Sailor - Updated

pipkoi

Alpha Buck
My poor little man has really been going through the mill.
2 weeks ago he went off to meet his "intended", the beautiful Abigail.
When we met up with Jill, she noticed he had a runny nose. After discussion, she still took him, as we had seen no problems with him.
Anyway by Wednesday, she was more concerned about Sailor. The early intros were going well, but the more excited Sailor got, the more sneezing he did.
Popped him straight off to the vets and he prescribed antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. Nothing serious and lungs lovely and clear.
Fast forward to Thursday just gone.
Sailor been doing great. Eating well, lively & bouncy and increasingly friendly. But by Thursday he was not eating so well, not pooing much and not so lively & most worrying of all, when I went to give him his last dose of antibiotics in the evening his mouth was full of food.
Managed to clear a little but settled him down and arranged for him to go to the vets ASAP
Spoke to the same vet as before who quickly agreed that he needed to be admitted. Advised to ring at 2pm but when I rang, he still hadn't been operated on. Rang again at 5pm and he had had and was ready to be picked up.
When we collected him, it transpired he had developed spurs on some teeth but also had broken his back upper molar which was rough & had a hole around it. Hence why the food was caught up in his mouth. We felt soooo guilty that we hadn't picked up on any early signs.:?
Luckily, there were no ulcers or sores due to the rough teeth and no signs of infection- probably due to antibiotics (thank goodness).
Vet didn't think the two difficulties were connected.
So home he came last night with us watchng him like a hawk. Hid away for an hour but then out he came and started eating. Also came out to check that we hadn't moved any of his favourite furniture or sitting places - so all seems well so far.
Learning point for us us that rabbits can develop tooth spurs at any stage of life - so extra vigilance is called for from us around this area.
Many thanks to Jill (Honeybunny) who took my panicky phone call Thursday evening and we promise you Sailor that we will be more observant in the future.
And to the gorgeous Abigail, Sailor says, " Please hang on for me darling. I will be fit & well soon & hopefully we can rekindle our meeting very soon:love:"

Last edited:
Awh poor Sailor.

Glad he's on the mend now and hope he gets his lady very soon.

I actually proper love Sailor!

I really feel for you here, both my babies being dental buns. Don't beat yourself up about not recognising the signs - mine had had 3 dentals before I could tell when they needed doing with a vet exam. Hopefully he won't need doing very often.

Vibes for him, and good luck with the gorgeous Abigail! :D

Aww bless little Sailor :cry: Hope he's feeling 100% very soon. Abigail looks gorgeous, I'm sure she'll be "hopping" for a quick recovery also ;):love:

Glad the vet sorted his teeth out and tell him Abigail is waiting patiently

Just to make clear to anyone wondering,,when I met Pip Sailor's nose was wet..we put it down to stress of the car journey..hence why I took him for bonding
Sadly it then got worse and was obviously an infection..but was caught nice and early on

Sending continued get well vibes for the lovely boy x

Never Heard so Much Excitement........

over the sight of "proper poo".
First we have seen for a few days prior to his dental work and first since Friday - though yesterday was his first day of eating properly.
It's such a relief:)
Don't we bunny keepers (and animal keepers generally) find strange things pleasing?
Way you go Sailor :love::love:

Aw poor boy! :( xx

Sending lots of recovery vibes and glad to hear he is eating and pooing now - hope he continues to improve.

Back