• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long do folks let their rabbits free range?

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Mine get about 20 min in morning and then about 1 hour in garden/house in evening (under supervision of course - there's a cat next door!) At weekends it would be longer in the morning. They have constant access all the rest of the time to their hutch and covered run.

Is this enough? What do other people with outdoor buns do? :?

Mine get about 20 min in morning and then about 1 hour in garden/house in evening (under supervision of course - there's a cat next door!) At weekends it would be longer in the morning. They have constant access all the rest of the time to their hutch and covered run.

I let my bunnies go 6 hours or more of free range, the rest in their hutch.

frosty has a hutch run set up, thats like fort knox and is sheltered on 3 sides as well as top, and at night some of the front,

since linus she never sleeps in the hutch anymore but we change that once a week still to keep the hay fresh in case she decides to nosy up, but she lives in the run now so put more litter trays and hay in, so shes technically out 24/7

my indoor buns

bigs and carrie get all day as i trust them not to wreck anything

doc an beth as and when im in which at the mo is a lot, they cant be trusted as they are in the living room too many wires

but the 4 indoors get locked away when i go to bed

Well then do you think they should be ok in my set up... 8x4 covered run which is solid at the back and one side and I close the whole thing up at night with shutters, plus 4x2 hutch part - they have this24/7 and then they get out before work in morn and an hour in evening?

Am I a bad bunny mummy? It's the best I can do for them until I'm off for summer! (teacher). They do seem happy. Saving up for 6x4 shed to attach on to this too.

its personal choice, i only do it because im confident a fox isnt going to get in, and foxes are determined creatures, if you are aware of foxes in your area then i wouldnt risk 24/7 free range i find more so in urban areas, my outdoor isnt in an urban area its not often we see them, but were i am i hear them most nights and see them during the day sometimes, so if she was with me id re think her situation as foxes can work in numbers too.

what is the hutch on, would you say its heavy, foxes can dig if they have too,

if your buns seem happy some exersize is better than none at all i assume weekends they get a lot more free time, so i wouldnt feel guilty

My buns are always either in their hutch of in their runs. Foxes are a common sight in my garden so there is no way I'd let them free range... which makes me sad. :(

My buns are always either in their hutch of in their runs. Foxes are a common sight in my garden so there is no way I'd let them free range... which makes me sad. :(

ETA: I wouldn't have outside bunnies again. They love it but as soon as I hear a noise outside or the light in the back garden comes on I'm up to check that they are ok. I used to be able to sleep through anything but since Mr Fox has been visiting I wake up at the slightest thing.

He lives in my bedroom, so basically whenever I'm there. If I'm not going out, I'll just leave him out for 10 hours or something

its personal choice, i only do it because im confident a fox isnt going to get in, and foxes are determined creatures, if you are aware of foxes in your area then i wouldnt risk 24/7 free range i find more so in urban areas, my outdoor isnt in an urban area its not often we see them, but were i am i hear them most nights and see them during the day sometimes, so if she was with me id re think her situation as foxes can work in numbers too.

what is the hutch on, would you say its heavy, foxes can dig if they have too,

if your buns seem happy some exersize is better than none at all i assume weekends they get a lot more free time, so i wouldnt feel guilty

The hutch is part of the run and it all stands on a wooden raised floor and that stands on paving stones so no fox digging. Never seen or heard foxes round my way - i'm in suburbs but I know that doesn't mean they aren't around. I'll be happier when I have the shed for them to lock em in at night.

The hutch is part of the run and it all stands on a wooden raised floor and that stands on paving stones so no fox digging. Never seen or heard foxes round my way - i'm in suburbs but I know that doesn't mean they aren't around. I'll be happier when I have the shed for them to lock em in at night.

id wait till you get the shed then :D you will never sleep worrying other wise like another said :)

Grayson was free range at night and when I was home, about 20 hours a day, but as he can't be trusted not to wee on my bed, that's been reduced to about an hour (his cage takes up half my room, he's not starved of space)

One of our pairs has 24 hour access to their run because they go mad if they're confined :roll:

The other are allowed in their runs and in the garden from 5am until 7pm currently...gradually extending the evenings as its getting lighter.

Harley our indoor bunny is free range all the time :love: I have a high sleeper bed so she can't get on it :(

Mine are usually about 8 hours a day, however today it poured all day and our garden flooded, so they just got freerange shed time :)

My 2 have a hutch with a run that they are in most of the day. I let them free range in the garden for about an hour and a half when I get home in the late afternoon. They'd love it if they had more time free ranging but I need to supervise them.

I've got a very spoiled house bunny, when i'm at home she has full reign of downstairs of 3 reception rooms, kitchen, passage and conservatory and at night or if i'm out she stays in my bedroom!

Alfie and Bubbles have about as long as I can bear to stand outside with them in the winter - no more than an hour when it's really cold. In the summer it's much longer as I tend to sit outside in the early evening and they can have a good 2 or 3 hours.

Snowdrop is free range in my bedroom 24/7, Strawberry is living with my mum at the minute so is caged while she is at work but free ranges in the garden and house from 5pm till 11pm.

Bungle is caged but free ranges from as soon as im home so all day at weekends and from 5pm till 11pm in the week.

Mine all have 7am - 11pm access to their enclosures, but real free range time when they have the whole garden to play in, each group gets 2 hours a day - 1 hr am and 1hr pm

Yes that sounds fine. In the wild rabbits normally only come out for 30mins - 1hr at dawn and again at dusk.

Mine get 30minute sessions between 2 and 3 times a day, depending on weather. Their run is totally secure so they access to that 24/7 and seem perfectly contented. Sometimes they can't even be bothered to come out of their run when I let them out :roll:

Back