• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

stupid family pet owners

bambi2906

Warren Scout
arhh im so angry i could cry.
my auntie has got a new rabbit last week for her 4 year old son. after trying to tell her not to get one for him as he would get bored she said she was going to get one know matter what i told her to get it from a rescue she got him from P@H saying that she wants a baby. She has now brought another for her other son who is 2 years old again from p@h.
she put a status on fb saying she had got another so i wrote that they needed bonding and to have there cage disinfected. she replies saying that she has own 7 pedigree lionheads before so she knew already.
yeah she did own 7 bunnies which all died one christmas because she didnt care for them. :evil:
and then someone put on about carrots and i put about how they are high in sugar etc and they reply with some very nasty comment basically taking the mickout of how i keep my rabbits.
my rabbits are my babies and i do whats best for them. i was only trying to give good advice out on how to care for her new bunny and what do i get nasty remarks calling me doctor doolittle wannabe.
im so angry why are people so stupid they cant take good advice without being rude back.
sorry for the rant a lot of people dont understand that a rabbit shouldnt be put in a tiny hutch at the bottom of the garden :evil:

It is a sad fact of life that most people are not as bothered about rabbits as they should be. Today, I was talking in work about how much I have spent on vets bills and they were shocked that I would pay out so much for a couple of rabbits.

You have tried your best to help her and if she is too ignorant to listen, that is not your fault. I would fill her inbox regularly with downloads of RWA leaflets and if she lives nearby, see if you can check up on the poor bunny.

Hugs,

FC x

How anyone can seriously think a 2 and a 4 year old can take care of animals is beyond belief. Ignore all the insults, you know you are right. I'd take bets on her whinging that these are a burden within a few months:(

well she brought them for there easter presents. :censored:
to top it of they are both unneutered males which arent related so how long it will be before they fight i dont know :cry:

You can tell people good advice, you can't force them to pay any attention.

You did a good job in telling her, but good advice is often ignored if people don't want to listen.:(

She's obviously got a good track record of rabbit care if all 7 died. :evil:
There's no excuse for criticising you for your level of care of your rabbits.

I hope that P@H explained to her all the problems with rabbits and the long-term commitment required. That's what they claim they do. I hope they did not top it off by selling them two tiny hutches.:(

Two small children and rabbits are not a good combination. I hope the adult is committed to provide care for their lifetime (rabbits and children). The children will be teenagers when the rabbits come to the end of their natural lives - will they still be committed?

I would almost put money on you seeing these rabbits within 6 months when the novelty wears off.

i thinks she thinks that just because im 18 i dont know a lot but i do especially since coming on here ive learnt a lot! just because im young doesnt meant i should be heard any less.
i think the seven were mum and babies and dad and they all died winter 2008 because in my opinon they werent well looked after.
well she brought them one and then decided tto get another and i dont think they advised her at all.
i agree i think they will be at my house soon or just left in the hutch at the bottom of the garden like the last lot were. not sure what my mum and dad will say i had to beg to get blue and annie

My family call me the Rabbit Whisperer as I have charmed a very uncared for buck and have forced my sister (hate to say it) to increase his care and attention. Nobody really got it, but now they have all seen my two, it's a different story!

So sorry! its so hard when its family too!:cry:
Name calling is not neccessary - but as we all know people often do this to make themselves feel better.....and when they know they are wrong!:evil:

Perhaps next time she mentions her expertise in rabbits - pedigree lionheads you could ask where they are?!

Youve done the best you can and youve spoken up - its hard with family and often people dont know how to deal with family in this way - so well done!!!!!:)

If you are really worried...tell P@H - and ask what their procedure is with reclaiming back animals....
They may not do anything but worth a try.....

Dont feel bad.....at least youve spoken up on behalf of the bunnies....and if she gets angry then ask her why! Free advice for new pets should be welcome.....plus a reminder that bunnies are free-roaming and a cage where they cant run & jump is not adequate - why does she think it is?

She may get mad gain....but it will make her think!
Honestly - a pet for a 2 & 4 years old! So stupid!
And 2 un-neutered males that arent related.......!:evil:
Are you able to keep an eye on them?
That way you can do the RSPCA or that kinda route if need be....

Well done for saying something!;)

PS Its not about age - its about being open-minded and considerate to the needs of those that dont have a choice!

Last edited:
i know i was so mad i didnt want to over step the mark as it is family but i was livid so i had to get my mum to proof read what i was writing so it didnt seem to harsh.
im really concered about the hutch though (i posted a link on a previous post) its got a run underneath so shes not going to attach a run onto it. i cant see it being out a lot either as she has 3 boys ( 4, 2 and new born) ashe has a dog and she forgot to shut his door the other day and it got through to next door so there garden is not safe.
as much as i dont want to go round cause i will be so mad. i said id go round tomo to see the new bunny so will check on the housing situation then. i just hope she puts a lot of hay in as they were pet shop bunnies so not use to the cold night :evil:

My half sisters other half is the same, so blinking annoying! :( They have two buns in TINY hutches, not together and a HUGE 2 ft x 2 ft x 1 ft run.... loads of space to run in. I hate some people. Shes the one that was rude about my bday pressie off my OH (bunnies photo shoot) and has now deleted me on FB, YAY, but sad because now I wont know how my nephew is getting on but at the end of the day, my bunnies are my babies and I dont give a poo about her.... *sigh*

yea i read the thread about the photoshoot which i thought was amazing i try to take photos of mine but they would be so much better with an actual professional.
it makes me so mad because people are so small minded when it comes to animals even my mum and dad call me a crazy bunny lady because i spend so much time with them (i will admit i prefer there company to other humans) but i know they are only joking.
i will have to keep in touch with her as i want to keep an eye on the bunnies and hint that if she needs help with the bonding and if they fight i will be there to help

thanks
i just feel really hurt i wasnt be a know it all i was generally trying to help ive seen the cage shes brought and theres no way two is going to fit in it.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ranch-120-rabbit-hutch-by-ferplast-27551
her first bunny is beautiful so tame and to know its going to be stuck in there makes me mad :censored:
its also the names they called me its just not right to be horrible to someone who is trying to help :evil:

omg, my hubby even looked at that hutch and said he wouldn't even put one of our guinea pigs in it, let alone two rabbits!

My half sisters other half is the same, so blinking annoying! :( They have two buns in TINY hutches, not together and a HUGE 2 ft x 2 ft x 1 ft run.... loads of space to run in. I hate some people. Shes the one that was rude about my bday pressie off my OH (bunnies photo shoot) and has now deleted me on FB, YAY, but sad because now I wont know how my nephew is getting on but at the end of the day, my bunnies are my babies and I dont give a poo about her.... *sigh*

that's the single most amazing birthday present i've ever heard of. Something to treasure always.

yep and from what i can tell they wont be the smallest of bunnies i dont know what breed they are but to me they look they will grow big if that makes sense. the one ive seen has really big body and long ears which drag on the floor when he runs. its underweight atm but its nearly bigger then mine and its only a baby atm

thanks
i just feel really hurt i wasnt be a know it all i was generally trying to help ive seen the cage shes brought and theres no way two is going to fit in it.
http://www.petsathome.com/shop/ranch-120-rabbit-hutch-by-ferplast-27551
her first bunny is beautiful so tame and to know its going to be stuck in there makes me mad :censored:
its also the names they called me its just not right to be horrible to someone who is trying to help :evil:

It looks like a lab cage :evil:

My nearly 2 year old has just been bought a bunny for easter by her auntie and uncle.................. so they think, its really for me! hehe

Yes it is a baby, from a breeder I can hear some of you tutting already and he will be a single bunny (at the moment) and yes he will live in the garden. BUT I have kept rabbits since I was a child, I do want my daughter to grow up to love and respect rabbits and obviously at her age she can no way look after a bunny but she can have a coach perhaps hand feed a little big of veg etc and hopefully he will bond with her and me.

Anyway sorry for going on what I wanted to say was, is the Ferplast Ranch 140 really that bad as I was considering this for our new bun, although my husband has just told me that 140 cm is not quite 5 foot I thought it was nearer 6ft, oops! Scrap that idea then. I did think the idea was good, with the tray, not so much the ramp to the lower ground though! If you do look at your aunties hutch would be interested to know what the actual design is like as does sound quite good but pity dont make nearer 6ft.

I think this bun is gonna be big going by the size of mum!!

http://www.petscorner.co.uk/small-animal/hutches/fab-jumbo-hutch

This is the other hutch I was considering, would be good to know what people think!!

wow another case of parent buys kids pets that cant wipe there own bums properly and yet are responsible to have a pet great just great,

your aunt is older so she will obviously know best, your not going to win im afraid hun :(

Back