• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mite bath questions

tomswife29

Young Bun
Hello all,
my bunny Don Juan seems to be getting mites a lot. this is about the 5th time i believe. first, is it true they all have mites and they get worst from stress? second, i decided to wash the carpets, but i dont know what to do about the chair that he lives in..he uses it as his homebase/hutch ( he lives in the living room.) and do i need to wash everything he has come in contact with?
but my main question is this: i have to give don juan the mite bath once again with the stinky sulfer. He already has trust issues with me that we are working on because i have had to move him from the living room(his beloved home) to my room when my other rabbit was sick with cancer and e coniculi. he grunts at me when i come over to pet him bc he thinks im going to take him out of the living room into my room. Hes is being more trusting lately as i only take him out to go to the garden which of course he loves, but now i have to give him this bath which stresses him out more than anything i know. does anyone have nd ideas or tips to make this less stressfull for him. i dont stick him allt he way in the bath, i just pour it on his back/neck using a small bucket...

You could try some bephar Antiparasite spot on treatment. you can buy it in pet shops or online. I`v used it on my guineapigs, and found it worked very well. you have to repeat 7 day`s after the first treatment and then again about 10 days later. they are just drops that you put on the back of bun`s neck that you rub into the fur, and it`s not harmfull if ingested. I think this will also take away the stress of the bath from your bun as i don`t think rabbits like being bathed.
you will need to make sure you wash absolutly everything that your bun comes into contact with thorougly with very hot water. Mites can live for upto 3 weeks without a host. So if you treat your bun for mites and then just put her streight back without thoroughly cleaning everything they can easily be caught again.
i cleaned my gp`s cage with boiling hot water and bleach after i treat them for mites and i also wore a plastic apron when treating them.
good luck and I hope this is of some help :D

Hello,
The bath seems a bit stressful for your bun. Have you been treating the mites with anything else?
I used Ivermectin drops when Herbie had mites, its basically the same as the spot on described in the post above. I had a quick google and i think you can get these in the US. You have to apply the drops per weight of bun at one weekly intervals for three weeks.
As for treating the house, vaccum & clean well. Wash all cloth bedding at 60degrees and chuck all hay bedding.
I used a mites spray in the buns room before putting them back in, im sure there will be one available to you in the US.
Hope your bun gets rid of them, they are horrible wee things!

Back