• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What to do now?

Arcana

New Kit
Not sure what forum to post in cause the health issue is not really an issue anymore, as things have gone for the worse. Yep, our 4 year old bun Sunny pased away yesterday. :( The vet called and said she had a blockage in her stomach and he thought there wasn't much left to do as several body functions weren't functioning. £150 for nothing :censored:

I had no idea how much this would affect me. I'm 36 but this is the first pet I've owned that has died. Funny thing is, my uncle took his own life just 2 months ago, but I hardly blinked an eye lid, yet I'm in tears when my rabbit dies. Who would have thought. :shock:

So now we are left with a 1.5 year old male rabbit we got from a rescue, who is not all that friendly. He doesn't trust us at all; runs away at the slightest noise and are not that bothered about being stroked. I didn't mind having him as he was mostly there as Sunny's "husband", but now that she's gone, I am really in two minds whether to find him a new "woman" or just give him away. The missus is not very keen on getting a rescue rabbit as we don't want two unsocial rabbits. I can't blame her for that but I'd like to think that we just got unlucky with him.

The expensive bills doesn't help either. In hindsight, yes we should have had pet insurance, but I thought stupidly that was one bill we could avoid. The missus is a student so it's hard enough getting by on one income, but on the other hand we do love bunnies.

Another question: I thought rabbits were ok with toilet rolls and other card board to chew on cause that was one of the few things they actually enjoyed, but since she apparently had a blockage in her stomach I can't help thinking whether that originated from a big card board box they were given just over a week ago and shred to pieces.....and perhaps she ate loads of that. It was hard to say.

Any advice?

Im really sorry for both your losses.
Your uncle passing and your bunny passing are linked....you hadnt grieved enough for your uncle...and it came out yesterday.Your losses,and other troubles.Im not saying youre not sad about bunny..but things stew and show themselves differently.
Whereas your bunny....Poor wee lass.It could have been any blockage...albeit a cancerous one, or something doing with the bowel.Not neccessarily cardboard.
With the other bunny thats left behind, rescues can find a partner for you, bond the pair and return.They may have to choose another if the first one doesnt bond...but if you bond yourself,most rescues will do a swap if it doesnt work out.Rescues wont let a single bun go to be a single bun.
It may seem you have one problem after another....but theres always light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck.Hope you work something out....for all of you.xxxxx

Firstly sorry for your loss, I am sorry that they weren't able to resolve the obstruction for your bunny as is sometimes possible.

There is an issue here regarding your other rabbit, it will too be grieving and most rabbits with time, patience and interaction will respond. I am assuming he is neutered? You need to treat him now as if he were a new arrival, he will need you to sit and hand feed his greens to him and regular interaction at his level as well as toys, plenty of fresh hay and a routine establishing.

You will make progress in time with the rabbit but, I would still think about adopting a rescue female that is already neutered that can be bonded on neutral territory to both rabbits, some rescues will do it for you for a small donation. It's important too that the housing is completely neutralised with white vinegar before returning the two rabbits to the accomodation.

What housing do you have at present?

With regards the cardboard, it is safe but, as with anything in moderation and providing it is plain undyed or uncoated cardboard. A rabbit shouldn't consume more than the size of it's head in cardboard in a week I don't think. Mine have one small toilet roll tube stuffed with hay so it is sticking out either end and will only nibble the cardboard when it is due a refill so one tube can last a week easily - if it were being eaten in a day I would remove it. Boredom will ensure a rabbit will eat things like cardboard or paper and therefore it does need to be monitored closely. How much exercise / free range time are you giving your rabbit?

Thanks a lot for the replies.

First of all, and I don't mean to come across as a cold hearted b@st@rd but I live in a different country to my uncle - my whole family actually - and haven't seen the guy for 10+ years so him dying doesn't really affect I'm afraid.
My bunny on the other hand - yep, that sure does.

In regards to housing - they (or him rather) have the whole kitchen floor to run around on - around 6 x 8 feet I think. They have the bottom of a standard large cage as their space with 2 litter trays in. Besides that they have 1 or 2 tunnels to play in. There's hay in the cage bottom, but not a whole lot more than that. I'll keep in mind not having too much card board around.

And yes, he is neutered.

We used ARC before to get him and do the bonding and they did a great job.

So sorry for your loss......youve had such a tough time of late....:cry:

Perhaps your uncles passing was not grieved for as openly as youd have thought as we tend to judge other people differenly than we judge animals....
when a pet leaves us behind...it breaks our hearts - they are so giving, trusting, loyal, loving and ask nothing more than to be loved back....
i think your bunny was loved very much and its little friend left behind wil be wondering where theyve gone...
Make sure you give them lots of love...let him see why your passed bunny loved you & trusted you so much......perhaps he will come round - who knows what experiences they have before we shower them with love....As suggested above - ask for help with bonding .....either that or swap him for a bonded pair....but also know that he may also feel rejected all over again...hes lost his little friend.....just the same as you...:love:

take care......hope that you feel stronger soon,
xxxxx:love:

Thanks Chelle.

How long should I wait before bonding him with another female?
Is it best to give him some breathing space or best to fill the void ASAP?
I would have thought the 2nd option but what do I know.

Although, to be honest, right now I mostly feel like giving him away and just forgetting about rabbits, as financially it's really hard for me. But on the other hand, if I do I feel I'd be letting him down as well.
I say "as well", cause due to the fact I don't have pet insurance I probably waited a day longer than I should with bringing her to the vet + the vet also said that he could continue treatment on her, although he didn't think it would help and it would at least double my bill if not triple my bill. I hate when you have to make a decision based on money. Sure, it probably wouldn't have made a difference, but who knows, right?
:cry:

Last edited:
Thanks Chelle.

How long should I wait before bonding him with another female?
Is it best to give him some breathing space or best to fill the void ASAP?
I would have thought the 2nd option but what do I know.

Although, to be honest, right now I mostly feel like giving him away and just forgetting about rabbits, as financially it's really hard for me. But on the other hand, if I do I feel I'd be letting him down as well.
I say "as well", cause due to the fact I don't have pet insurance I probably waited a day longer than I should with bringing her to the vet + the vet also said that he could continue treatment on her, although he didn't think it would help and it would at least double my bill if not triple my bill. I hate when you have to make a decision based on money. Sure, it probably wouldn't have made a difference, but who knows, right?
:cry:

Hi there! :)

Its very difficult when theres a money concern....but having a healthy happy bun is whats important too - a good quality of life is sometimes better than a struggled one....Im sure you made the right decision.
Your bun thats left - how old is he?
Im not experienced with bonding buns = perhaps ask on here - as theres lots of people who have done it & are doing it!:)
Some people say it helps if you put the passed away bun in the run so the other bun can see he/shes is not moving etc - so that helps - obviously abit late for that now.....so Id make sure you give as much attention as usual - though he may feel its more as he's scared etc and also the only bun left. i think if you get them bonded soon - it makes them happier -from what Ive read - however you may be lucky or not in going through this process -some times you are able to find the right friend & other times not. There are rescue centre which help & guide you through the bonding process - so i would def suggest asking in this forum for help in that area. if a rescue centre is unable to help & you have to just take a bun home straight away - thats not rigth! They should normally advise oyu, even meet your other bun and sometimes you can even take your bun to the centre where they will bond them for you - but its poss to do at home in a neutral area.....you will be advised and hopefully osme people with experience will help from this forum!:p

If you feel financially you can cope with the cost of 2 & feel that if youd had money you would have contineud vet treatment on your passed bun, then perhaps you should consider vet insurance now - especially if you get another bun. I think that as they do get older - they need more care - and it all adds up. If you feel that another bun is too much & you'll let your little man bun down - then go to some rescue centres (ask on here!;)) and check them out yourself - you may be able to bond him with another rescue bun & they can get a home together. its very difficult to know what to do - follow your heart and make sure the buns best interests are at heart. Money can be an issue......but also a careing considerate bunny home for life is whats also very important. If you feel that you are unable to provide a home thats able to afford the vet care for another bun & make sure they have a companian....then perhaps you can find a home for your little man.....its a very hard decision....but obvioulsy care is important - do you know anyone who could perhaps give him a home with some friends & then you could still visit him?

Perhaps a few more people will comment on here on their thoughts - as Im sure oyu are not alone in this situation.

Let us know what you decide to do!
How is the bun at the moment? Is he eating & exercising ? Does he look happy?

Hope you get some more advice.....sorry Ive not got abit more knowledge about bonding....if no one replied - perhaps add or change the title of the thread?:)

Hope youre feeling stronger! :love:

Last edited:
So sorry for the loss of your bunny :(

If you did want to get another female then we could of course help again with bonding etc, however if you feel the need to rehome the little man then he would have to come back to us I'm afraid, good luck with whatever you decide.

Im really sorry for both your losses.
Your uncle passing and your bunny passing are linked....you hadnt grieved enough for your uncle...and it came out yesterday.Your losses,and other troubles.Im not saying youre not sad about bunny..but things stew and show themselves differently.
Whereas your bunny....Poor wee lass.It could have been any blockage...albeit a cancerous one, or something doing with the bowel.Not neccessarily cardboard.
With the other bunny thats left behind, rescues can find a partner for you, bond the pair and return.They may have to choose another if the first one doesnt bond...but if you bond yourself,most rescues will do a swap if it doesnt work out.Rescues wont let a single bun go to be a single bun.
It may seem you have one problem after another....but theres always light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck.Hope you work something out....for all of you.xxxxx

I'm not sure we should assume that he didn't grieve for his uncle and it came out in the grieving of the rabbit. It could be true but I personally get more upset when animals get sick and die than I do with family. I don't know if that makes me sound cold hearted but I just love animals more than people.

Back