• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

emergency vets tonight - what do I insist on

Hi,
I have spent the morning at work printing off every conceivable resource but I think I probably need it short and sweet.
Anyways I am having a problem with Isaac if anyone could help I've got vets tonight ... He very rarely gets statis but normally with a bit of infacol it clears up in a few hours... I have an emergency vets visit tonight...
He's doing very small poops and I have given infacol- last night he ate a little bit of greens and this morning I made my mum check just now:oops: and he's done some small poops again.
I was wondering what do I insist on from the vet as it's a locum tonight and I can't imagine he's rabbit savvy. However I don't want to wait til tomorrow when the vet I like is on.
so what do I insist they do and what meds am I wanting ? and what things can I do - he has his snuggle safe although he doesn't feel that cold to be honest on his ears. I will get some pineapple juice after work - I have infacol at home.
He can't really stay the night there as it's not a hospital - so I am aware and prepared for being up all night.
He's not that bad in himself not like Snowflake when she gets it and is always stretching and pressing her belly in and being lethargic etc.
Any advice by tonight greatly received.

I don't have much experience of stasis but i would be asking for a metocloprimide (sp) injection, it's a gut motility drug and will keep his system moving.

Ask for the following

Bio lapis
Fibre plex
Metoclopramide - this does not have to be an injection, we have a bottle of it
Zantac
Metacam - MOST important pain relief

Also get vet to check teeth, ears, stomach, bottom.

if he is eating and pooing does he really need the stress of a vets visit who may not be savvy anyhows?

Its very very minimal eating- 2 bites of a green in the last day and the poops are very very few and tiny. Im not going to leave him then find him dead cos I didn't take him.:?

oh in that case.. meds wise - fluids under the skin and pain relief definately. gut stimulant would be a bonus :D

what i would expect the vet to do before meds - teeth check and temp check and belly check.

fingers crossed its not a blockage or bad teeth. loads of vibes xxxxx

also like to add..if theres no obstruction then also syringe feeds of oxbow critical care or the science recovery stuff mixed with water will help keep the gut working alongside the metaclopramide.

youd be surprised how many vets do not think fluids under the skin is essential:shock:

their skin doesnt tent when dehyrdated like cats or dogs..but if you gently pull the lower eyelid down and it doesnt immediately spring back then this is one severely dehydrated bunny.

one vet i saw with bertie also gave him another really strong pain killer jab and when he got home he zoned right out..i thought he was dead:shock:

no other vet has given this and i wished they would laongside the metacam with gi probs its so painful for them.

try also the tummy rubs..from under the armpits almost dowbwards and also the circiference of their tummy....if thersw gurgles then infacol will be greatly appreciated.

i have just got a repeat prescription filled for bertie..one doggy bottle of metacam and a small bottle of metaclopramide..luckily hes pooping ok now but its always a lifesaver to have on hand.

be aware that fibreplex tubes soemtimes can be faulty so get some bio lapis sachets instead..it can be made into an isotonic solution..like sports drinks for athletes...and syringed that way or added to feed in syringe..or put in water and on food..but i find the isotonic solution best for severe gi stasis and added to syringe feeds for less severe stasis.

berties a frenchie.thats why he has the doggy dose of metacam. vet told me buns can metabolise it three times faster and better than dogs!!!

good luck....if fluids are injected under the skin and youre given the stuff from the vets and youve got him to give the jabs first then stuff to go hom e with....you should be in the best polace to be nurse anyway as overnite stays can stress some buns right out and if theres no one there then youre the best nurse anyway. hope all goes well.

youd be surprised how many vets do not think fluids under the skin is essential:shock:

it took tears to get the first injection of fluids for Alvin then they did it daily for me without question.

even the last time he had started eating again when i took him in for a check the next day the blood tests showed he was still dehydrated.

i think fluids and metacam have saved his life many times over now and i will argue till my death to get those two for him.

gut stimulant im not overly worried about if im honest.

winston has just come through very bad case of bloat our rabbit vet didnt think hed make it he was very bad,
However best thing to give is encourage pineapple juice as much of it as hell drink but do not force any food etc in incase of blockage this will make things seriously worse.
Winnie drank loads of pineapple juice its good for breaking up hair balls which is normally majour cause of blockages it also reduces inflammed stomachs and it produces good bacteria. Our vet said it was really important winnie drank in 3 days about 3 small cartons which helped him a lot.
http://www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com/27.html and next page tells bit more of his story

Thankyou 4 the words of wisdom. This afternoon when I got him out he munched on grass 4 quite a while then drank quite a bit. So stupidly I cancelled the vets then he went all quiet again. Although he had a few mouthfuls of veg. Got an appointment 1st thing with a better vet tomorrow. Been giving him pineapple juice today and done the lifting of the back end slightly higher which was recommended which released a bit of gas- and I've finally heard some noises in his belly and he's had infacol. Is it true though that if its a blockage you should pts? Cos surgerys too dangerous? Arggghh so stressed and worried.

Thankyou 4 the words of wisdom. This afternoon when I got him out he munched on grass 4 quite a while then drank quite a bit. So stupidly I cancelled the vets then he went all quiet again. Although he had a few mouthfuls of veg. Got an appointment 1st thing with a better vet tomorrow. Been giving him pineapple juice today and done the lifting of the back end slightly higher which was recommended which released a bit of gas- and I've finally heard some noises in his belly and he's had infacol. Is it true though that if its a blockage you should pts? Cos surgerys too dangerous? Arggghh so stressed and worried.

oh please don't think like that hun, positive thoughts and lots of yummy nom noms for him. Keep him hydrated (I normally do half cooled boiled water/half pineapple juice) and try to get him moving occasionally and then get him to the good vet in the morning.

I get so stressed every time Pye stops eating but he's still here and just come thru an op with FHB and that was in his guts so it was a risky surgery. They can be stronger than you think as I now know!

Sending lots of vibes xxx

:cry: dont panic yourself hun, if it was a blockage i reakon you would know about it by now. i think *not 100%* thats what can cause bloat and after seeing pics of a bloated bun its unmistakeable.

does honestly sound like a gut slow down because hes still nibbling and you are getting tiny poops too, so things are moving slowly. your vet should be able to reassure you tomorrow as well as give some nice tummyache easing drugs. just keep the fluids going in and thats half the battle.. loads of vibes for a munch filled night xxxxx

Thanks guys! I wrote down every med you guys wrote and shes sending me home with them. I've had to leave him there 4 the day. He's having subcu fluids. She said it wasnt bloat just a hard ball trying to get through. Hes starting to have gut sounds. Shes doing exactly what I've read she needs to do all without prompting. Just praying this lump can get broken down. I think its smaller than yesterday and I found a huge ball of poop in his litter tray this morning. Thanks 4 everything you've been fab!

Back