• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Don't know what to do.../Not great news

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
My Ginger Bun needs ANOTHER dental, 3 weeks after his last! At least, nobody's confirmed that's what it is, but I can tell by now! He had a quiet day yesterday, with squishy poos. He's still rather quiet today with tiny poos, and Pickles is looking after him. I feel at a complete loss as to what to do. It seems it's a week shorter than the last time between each dental! It's taking him a full week to get over them too.

Does anyone know of ANYTHING that can be done about molar spurs?!!! Stupid question I know but I'll ask it anyway...

Last edited:
I don't have any advice (sorry) but I just wanted to wish your Ginger Bun better. It's horrible when you have a continual problem - thank goodness he has you looking after him.

I hope you can get some good advice and something can be done to help him.

x

thats what happens to our dental bun. Also she still manages to eat some pellets even tho she is so uncomfortable. she tends to go off her hay too. and then shell rush at the food bowl as if shes starving...then suddenly stops!

it annoys me as they say her spurs dont look too bad..and then they do them and they say hardly any there..but its enoughj for her..

some vets do dentals diff and thats what makes them grow back more often sometimes.
bif has had dentals for years butit wasnt till one day a vet was giving her the second concscious dental hed given ehr before and found out her lower jaw recedes way too far back for her molars to meet properly.
they dont do conscious dentals now which is fine until you have a bun who needs it every three weeks. but then bif only liked this one vet to do it....all the others she was scared and miserable with so maybe ga is best after all.

once she had two weeks apart from dentals!! but luckily shes not had one since november last year!!:shock: guess they must have burred both sides to the gumline like they did once before.

shes had serious squishy events last two days and so im checking her poops closely!!

thats what happens to our dental bun. Also she still manages to eat some pellets even tho she is so uncomfortable. she tends to go off her hay too. and then shell rush at the food bowl as if shes starving...then suddenly stops!

it annoys me as they say her spurs dont look too bad..and then they do them and they say hardly any there..but its enoughj for her..

some vets do dentals diff and thats what makes them grow back more often sometimes.
bif has had dentals for years butit wasnt till one day a vet was giving her the second concscious dental hed given ehr before and found out her lower jaw recedes way too far back for her molars to meet properly.
they dont do conscious dentals now which is fine until you have a bun who needs it every three weeks. but then bif only liked this one vet to do it....all the others she was scared and miserable with so maybe ga is best after all.

once she had two weeks apart from dentals!! but luckily shes not had one since november last year!!:shock: guess they must have burred both sides to the gumline like they did once before.

shes had serious squishy events last two days and so im checking her poops closely!!

Sorry, I'm being really dim cuz I'm so tired, but what has the vet done differently which has extended the time between dentals? You said they burred right to the gumline? Why don't they always do that with dental buns then!!? I'm worried that something my vet is doing is making him worse, because I don't see why the gaps between dentals should get shorter and shorter? Their vet is meant to be the best small animal guy in Cornwall though...

I just phoned and the receptionist said he can't be done til 6th April! I really don't think I can leave it that long! Do you think I should have him done at my old vets? They weren't really interested in rabbits, so I don't know.

Oh God, help me guys! This is my little baby bunkin I'm talking about - there has to be a way to 'fix' him! :cry:

Sorry, I'm being really dim cuz I'm so tired, but what has the vet done differently which has extended the time between dentals? You said they burred right to the gumline? Why don't they always do that with dental buns then!!? I'm worried that something my vet is doing is making him worse, because I don't see why the gaps between dentals should get shorter and shorter? Their vet is meant to be the best small animal guy in Cornwall though...

I just phoned and the receptionist said he can't be done til 6th April! I really don't think I can leave it that long! Do you think I should have him done at my old vets? They weren't really interested in rabbits, so I don't know.

Oh God, help me guys! This is my little baby bunkin I'm talking about - there has to be a way to 'fix' him! :cry:

Firstly, I must emphasise that I'm not a vet.

I had a check online (which, I assume, you might also have done yourself already). Treatments as frequently as every two weeks are not unknown for this condition. The treatments themselves appear to range from burring up to teeth removal.:shock:

Someone else appeared to have a similar problem to the one you described and it was suggested that they refer it to the famous FHB for advice. If you're not happy, pehaps you could ask your vet to do likewise. At least you would then know all the possible 'fix' options.:?

I hope you manage to get your bun sorted.:)

ive always wondered on buns that have regular dentals i.e. every few weeks that there burs get that bad that quick, and if its not a root problem as well as in, its sore to bite down

im not disputing it completly going orf to read more, linus was done every 3 to 4 months towards the end, so not as regular as some, and his were awkward to get to as well

but if vets are saying they see hardly anything surely an xray would be better to see if its the roots too

I'm sorry its needing done quicker this time :(

Have you ever thought about having his teeth out?

I wish it was an option but just not poss with molars. :( My poor little dude. He's running up and down now begging for food, but he can't eat. I'm having to pace his recovery because he can't cope with that very well either.

*massive hugs* I lost my Greg to dental problems :cry: But have been luckier with Bugs (he hasn't needed a dental for a year now :D)

I really hope you manage to find the answer. It's probably a stupid question but do you make sure he eats lots of hay/grass daily?

I wish it was an option but just not poss with molars. :( My poor little dude. He's running up and down now begging for food, but he can't eat. I'm having to pace his recovery because he can't cope with that very well either.

I guess you are offerring him softened pellets? I know it means their teeth don't wear down but once they are needing a dental its past worrying about that really. The other option is saucers of critical care (or the dust from the bottom of pellet bags made into a mush), or baby food mixed with mushed pellets, or grated/liquidised veg.

If the inside of the mouth has started to hurt as the teeth rub then syringe feeding any of the above will help - as even lapping up soft stuff from a saucer will need the teeth and jaws to move against what might be a sore inside of the mouth. Whereas syringe feeding doesn't really need the jaw to move much.

This is all just to keep him going till the dental of course (and whilst recovering).

One of mine now has molars growing sideways after a jaw infection (and really awful teeth to start with so infection just finished them off). But the poor little soul has lasted a couple of months now since the last dental - which is amazing.

I guess you are offerring him softened pellets? I know it means their teeth don't wear down but once they are needing a dental its past worrying about that really. The other option is saucers of critical care (or the dust from the bottom of pellet bags made into a mush), or baby food mixed with mushed pellets, or grated/liquidised veg.

If the inside of the mouth has started to hurt as the teeth rub then syringe feeding any of the above will help - as even lapping up soft stuff from a saucer will need the teeth and jaws to move against what might be a sore inside of the mouth. Whereas syringe feeding doesn't really need the jaw to move much.

This is all just to keep him going till the dental of course (and whilst recovering).

One of mine now has molars growing sideways after a jaw infection (and really awful teeth to start with so infection just finished them off). But the poor little soul has lasted a couple of months now since the last dental - which is amazing.

I'm sorry it's come round to a dental so quickly.
Removal of molars, unless they are loose is major surgery, only really justified for abscess.
My bun needs a dental every 4 weeks although the spurs are burred back to the gum line.

I'm surprised that your vet wouldn't treat Ginger as an urgency
Say on Mon.
We want to avoid GI slow down from low food intake, & ulceration of tongue & mouth because it takes them longer to start eating again.

Marie can usually get Thumps in at 1.30, do the dental, & home at 5.00pm.
That way, I can get some food in in the morning, & the stress of admission is minimised.

Recently we found that the buprenorphine (vetergesic) takes a long time to wear off in him so he was too sleepy to eat much until the small hours. Last time he just had metacam & tucked in as soon as he got home. Recovery was so much quicker.
He also had zantac to improve caecal motility (soft unformed caecs) x1 per day afterwards. He always has metacam for 3 days post dental x1 per day for jaw stiffness after the procedure.

I agree with softened pellets & parsnipbun's advice totally.
Thumps can often manage to get through 3 - 4 days with metacam about 2 hours before his main eating time (evening & night) & a little veg, / herbs cut as thinly as crisps.
For fiber, bramble leaves (I know you use) dried to a crisp in the tumble drier on minimum, & broken up, need less chewing.
Thumps is a good boy, he alternates a few leaves with his veg at the same sitting which helps his gut issues a lot.

Personally I would not go to a non rabbit trained vet unless it was literally a life or death emergency.

Poor little Ginge is feeling mis. He won't even eat his vegetable mush that I'm making him (he can't eat pellets anyway due to his dodgy tum, so they aren't an option even soggy) so we're on the last little bit of recovery. :( I really don't think I can leave it 8 more days!! I'll phone the practice on Monday and try and get him in with another vet sooner. It'll be interesting to see how long it will be after this dental before needing another, when a different vet has done it.

So, with the whole 'gumline' thing. Is that the whole tooth that's ground down then? Doesn't it seriously damage the nerves? Do you think I can TELL the vet I want him to do it right down to the gumline?

My poor baby, I feel so totally powerless to help him.

Last edited:
Poor little Ginge is feeling mis. He won't even eat his vegetable mush that I'm making him (he can't eat pellets anyway due to his dodgy tum, so they aren't an option even soggy) so we're on the last little bit of recovery. :( I really don't think I can leave it 8 more days!! I'll phone the practice on Monday and try and get him in with another vet sooner. It'll be interesting to see how long it will be after this dental before needing another, when a different vet has done it.

So, with the whole 'gumline' thing. Is that the whole tooth that's ground down then? Doesn't it seriously damage the nerves? Do you think I can TELL the vet I want him to do it right down to the gumline?

My poor baby, I feel so totally powerless to help him.

No it's not the whole tooth it's just the part of the tooth that doesn't meet the others.

I would be very loath to instruct a vet to do anything. The best approach is to ask if they think if it might help/ worth trying/ etc.

Before you try another vet, phone the good one 1st, thing. If the receptionist still says he can't be seen for 8 days, ask to speak to the vet himself. I'm honestly shocked Ginger can't be seen for 8 days, & can only think there's an administrative hiccough.

Well, my lil man is back from his dental. He's actually been full of beans over Easter, and I was up all night last night worrying about putting him through it, as my sister said it wasn't worth the risk if he was eating.

I knew I couldn't keep putting it off though, and when I spoke to his vet after he'd done it though, and he said they were really bad. He told me they'd probably keep getting bad sooner each time now, and that with each aneasthetic Ginger's system will become less and less resistant. :cry:

Part of me thinks that I'm being mean to keep him going when he's feeling so miserable 1 week in 4, but then he's so happy and lively the rest of the time. Oh dear...

Last edited:
Well, my lil man is back from his dental. He's actually been full of beans over Easter, and I was up all night last night worrying about putting him through it, as my sister said it wasn't worth the risk if he was eating.

I knew I couldn't keep putting it off though, and when I spoke to his vet after he'd done it though, and he said they were really bad. He told me they'd probably keep getting bad sooner each time now, and that with each aneasthetic Ginger's system will become less and less resistant. :cry:

Part of me thinks that I'm being mean to keep him going when he's feeling so miserable 1 week in 4, but then he's so happy and lively the rest of the time. Oh dear...

Hopefully as your vet gets to know Ginger & finds the best dose of drugs for him, & best type of dental, Ginger will be less groggy, & pick up more quickly. It took my little one about a year to realise that a dental wasn't so bad after all! But I really understand the dilemma. I think we're due the 15th. dental in 16 !/2 months now. He's still strong.

Back