• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - how many rabbits have you..

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
...had to turn away this year?

Lou decided to keep track of all the requests from the start of the year, and only ten weeks into 2010 and we have had to turn away over 100 rabbits:cry::cry:

How are other rescues finding things at the moment?

I don't keep count but up to a couple of days ago we had 3 weeks of at least 5 calls a day to hand in:cry:..stopped adding to our waiting list as no point..thankfully we are starting to home some now so things are moving

...had to turn away this year?

Lou decided to keep track of all the requests from the start of the year, and only ten weeks into 2010 and we have had to turn away over 100 rabbits:cry::cry:

How are other rescues finding things at the moment?

Oh my goodness...that's so many :shock:

I knew rescues were under a lot of pressure at the moment, but I had no idea that each rescue had to turn away so many. Must be so hard. Doesn't bear thinking about what happens to the ones that are turned away :cry::cry:

So, if this picture is typical, and each rescue is turning away 100 buns in ten weeks, that's 10 buns/week/rescue.:shock:

That's a frightening number of buns being turned away and presumably the re-homing rate is typically less than 10 buns/week?:(

I wonder what the P@H (and other pets shops') bun sale rate is? Probably in excess of 10/weekend I assume. Although some of these have forever homes there are still a lot being handed in.

Add the irresponsible breeders and free-ads bunnies at the input end of the process and it gets horrendous.:cry:

I know, it doesn't bear thinking about those that have to be turned away - most of the time they have already tried several other rescues too.:cry:

We've only managed to squeeze in the stray rabbits that have arrived on the doorstep,although Lou did make room for Shadow, a 6 year old male who had lived in a 75cm cage for the last five years - the owner did donate said cage, along with £2.70 and a broken water bottle:roll::roll:

I know, it doesn't bear thinking about those that have to be turned away - most of the time they have already tried several other rescues too.:cry:

We've only managed to squeeze in the stray rabbits that have arrived on the doorstep,although Lou did make room for Shadow, a 6 year old male who had lived in a 75cm cage for the last five years - the owner did donate said cage, along with £2.70 and a broken water bottle:roll::roll:

:cry::cry::cry::cry: i have no idea how you keep your cool with these people..

I just can't believe that people place such a low value on a bun's life. A cage too small to turn round in and hop plus a broken water bottle. No doubt the poor bun had endured five years of misery in there in silence - because buns can only suffer in silence.:shock::cry:

No doubt they walked away feeling generous and relieved to have dumped him. How would they feel about spending half of their natural life in a room the size of a cupboard?:evil:

I despair.:cry:

:shock::shock: That is unbelieveable and it isn't even Easter yet. I have been considering fostering for this very reason but haven't got many rescues close that need fosterers.

same here 1 day last week I had 6 phonecalls and 4 emails to take in it is frightning at moment, gradually rehoming is picking up,but people do think you have endless amount of space

Back