• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age to get VHD & Myxi(?) vaccinations done? Worried!

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi!:)

Can anyone advise....2 Female dwarf lops - 10 1/2 weeks old.
Neither have had any vaccinations.

Im aware (thanks to this forum!:)) that you need to wait between the vaccinations.

- BUT what age do you normally get them done at?

- How do you know that they are ready - health wise for them? :?
(my one buns so small, can feel her bones, was ill the other night and got her eating and drinking through vet advice) she fine now but just so small and Im keeping an eye on her. My OH suggested we wait till they are both bigger and settled and the little ones got more weight.

-Can a vaccination cause them to die? I know it sounds OTT but rather sound silly!

Any more info on these vacs will be greatly appreciated.

xxx:love:

PS They seem hungry for pellets & greens alot - though they have constant source of hay! Should i feed the little one anything to help her put on weight or if shes acting normal leave her but keep an eye on her? Should she weigh a certain /average weight at 10 1/2 weeks?

How often can i intro. new vege - so far they have had apple - when not well. but just 2 days - today they tried cabbage (1/1/2 leaves - small) between them....
When can i try the next vege?

Sorry! Gone abit mad with more more and more questions!!!! Sorry!:lol:

My suggestions in red font :)

Hi!:)

Can anyone advise....2 Female dwarf lops - 10 1/2 weeks old.
Neither have had any vaccinations.

Im aware (thanks to this forum!:)) that you need to wait between the vaccinations.

- BUT what age do you normally get them done at?

Myxomatosis can be done at 6 weeks.
There are two brands of VHD Vaccine, Cylap and Lapinject. The Lapinject can be given from 5 weeks (although personally I would not give it until 10 weeks). Lapinject appears to have far less risk of adverse side effects than Cylap.
If you do use Cylap then that can be given from 10 weeks.

- How do you know that they are ready - health wise for them? :?

Your Vet should give them a thorough health check BEFORE administering the vaccine. There should be a 14 day gap between giving each vaccine.

(my one buns so small, can feel her bones, was ill the other night and got her eating and drinking through vet advice) she fine now but just so small and Im keeping an eye on her. My OH suggested we wait till they are both bigger and settled and the little ones got more weight.

-Can a vaccination cause them to die? I know it sounds OTT but rather sound silly!

The risk of a Rabbit dying from NOT having the vaccinations is billions of times greater than the microscopic risk of a fatality due to the vaccination itself.

Any more info on these vacs will be greatly appreciated.

Myxomatosis Vaccine only gives 6 months protection, so it is generally advised that this vaccine is given twice a year. Whilst it does not provide a 100% guarantee that the Rabbit will not contract Myxomatosis if it happens the Rabbit is likely to get a 'milder' treatable form. It is ESSENTIAL that the Vet administers the Vaccine correctly, 10% of it needs to be injected directly into the dermis. The easiest place to do this and to 'feel' the needle go in to the dermis is to inject the 10% into the ear base. However, some Vets will do the intradermal dose in the scruff but they will draw the needle back to get 10% into the dermis. If the intradermal part of the Vaccine is not given then your Rabbit will not be fully protected.

The Cylap VHD Vaccine has frequently been known to cause ALOT of nasty side effects including a post vaccination limp, severe skin reactions and gut stasis.

xxx:love:

PS They seem hungry for pellets & greens alot - though they have constant source of hay! Should i feed the little one anything to help her put on weight or if shes acting normal leave her but keep an eye on her? Should she weigh a certain /average weight at 10 1/2 weeks?

I would weigh her twice a week. As long as she is gaining a little weight and she is passing normal faeces I would just try to make sure that BOTH Rabbits have a good intake of hay. There are numerous varieties to tempt them with. Hay/grass is the very most important part of a Rabbit's diet. You can obtain some lovely hays from here:

http://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/

Here is some advice re what to feed your Rabbits :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

How often can i intro. new vege - so far they have had apple - when not well. but just 2 days - today they tried cabbage (1/1/2 leaves - small) between them....
When can i try the next vege?

I would not feed fruit at this stage. It contains alot of sugar which can upset the gut flora. Especially in baby Rabbits. I would stick with dark leafy greens.
They can have a tiny portion each day as long as their poos dont become soft/unformed after eating greens.

I would also add a probiotic to their drinking water to help maintain a healthy balance of 'good' bacteria in their GI tract.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1225

Sorry! Gone abit mad with more more and more questions!!!! Sorry!:lol:

Wow - thanks "Jacks-Jane!" :D

This info is soo so so helpful - I wasnt aware of the two types of vacs - I feel so much more informed about them now. At least now I can ask the vet what they use and how they do it etc!
Now I can also be aware of what ages the vet suggests for their vacs ...with prior knowledge!:)

Thanks for the link on The hayexpert - Ive just bought a bale of meadow hay - and they eating it fine - but thought perhaps i would mix in a different variety for them for flavours. That website has some great bits & pieces too...

Thanks about the apple - i knew it was high in sugar - will cut that out for now. Will continue with some cabbage each day and perhaps introduce some kale or broccoli leaves or stalks? in a few days?
Im unsure as to how much greens to give them?
Im thinking that hay is their main meal with pellets & greens for dessert? lol"!

Indiana is still eating the carefresh bedding - which is abit frustrating - she sneaks there and forages away...I take it away but shes keeps oging back....which is encouraging Arrabella to copy her! Ive put some more hay on top so you can hardly see the carefresh now - so not sure whether to put this carefresh into their cage or not as i wont be bale to monitor the amount they eat!?:?

The advice on their weight helped - I weighed them both earlier:
Arrabella is 929g
Indiana is 680g (Bless her!)

I will def. weigh them twice a week and see how they do.:p

IIm going to print this all out and stick it in my Bunny Book - which i need to get -then there will be records of weights & diets/health etc!

Thanks so much! Very much appreciated! xxxxx:love::love::love:

oooh - sorry -saw you mentioned about their poos not being too squishy - to gauge the amount of greens...Ive been doing that - so good to know Im on the right track there. Can I introduce new greens every few days if their poos ok...or as some advise only every 10 days?

I did read somewhere that you can give them greens equivalent to the size of their heads?!?
And fresh hay the size of their bodies?

Mine get fresh hay each morning and in the evening I mix in some more.

Thanks again so much! :p

Very little broccoli so Ive been told, as it causes gas...and uncomfy tums.
Slowly with all stuff the buns havent had befdore and watch poop...
The more hay, the better the diet....Youre doing abfab......xxxxxx

Hi! Thanks for the help......they are such little sweeties!

Theyve both put on abit of weight.....but not loads....
Im giving them perhaps abit more pellets than they should have just for htis reasons - but have added some timothy hay with dandelions & merigold in it and they love love love it! lol!:lol::lol::lol:
They getting too posh for the meadow hay now!:roll:

thanks again! Im about to call the vets and ask how bunny savvy they are! :oops::p

xxxx:love:

Back