• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rebonding siblings after fight and neuter ....

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I know someone who has two mini-lop brother who lived together until about a month ago (aged 8 months) when they had a fight. They got on well until this point. She got them from a breeder who said they would live together happily unneutered as they were brothers :roll: Anyhow, she loves them dearly and is thinking of rehoming one but has also been advised that after neutering they will live happily together again, so is tempted to try.

I wasn't sure what to advise as outside my experience but I thought it "likely" that they would rebond happily.

Anybody able to offer advice as to how likely they are to get on well again?

Thank you :D

depends on how bad the fight without knowing all the details its kind of hard to judge, as a lot of bonding can be done via personality, if bond had been broken sometimes its hard to rebond

saying this it isnt impossiable either, neutering and a good long break for hormones to settle is a start, then asking someone to bond them for her would the better safer step that trying on her own as alot of people are quite put off trying to bond again,

I personally would be alot stricter on the bonding rules as i would say with a male/ female, pair that havent fought

Thanks. I've got to admit I'd not be happy to rebond after a fight (I don't know how bad it was).

Maybe she would be best rehoming one and getting a new companion for the other, upsetting though it would be. Maybe they'd now be happier that way.

is there any way for someone else to bond for her after a neuter?

I'm sure it could be arranged. I just didn't want to build her hopes up too much after she'd become convinced they wouldn't go back together again, I wondered if it was worth trying.

if it was me then yes id give it a go with strict rules, bonding away from home and giving owner strict instructions to clean the area well and if bond is succesful to keep them confined for a few days

a rescue might be a good idea mainly because if shes that sure she feels she has to get rid if one they could bond one with a female, or get conviced to get 2 females:D,
but i would ask about the serverity of the fight first, some people idea of a fight can be totaly differant to how a real fight is, though i can imagine 2 un neutered boys in spring could be,

but id wouldnt give up hope no, you dont know untill you try, :D dont know if im really helping to be honest, :oops:

:D dont know if im really helping to be honest, :oops:

:D You are, thank you. It's such a shame they were done about 3 months ago, they probably would have been really happy all along :(

I shall pass all the info on. I think 2 buns is a strict limit though.

Hello
My 2 boys had a few fights before they were re-bonded.
I too considered re-homing one (except I wouldn't have been able to choose) I didn't do it Myself. And last September Honey was introduced to them and they all live very happily together.
I think it would be worth a try.

I was lucky enough to have someone else bond them, but if your friend does it herself make sure she follows all the usual bonding rules.

Hope it all goes well.

Oh thanks, I had a feeling there was a positive story somewhere, I'd forgotten about your success story with Eric and Ernie (how could I forget that memorable thread where someone told you that you were a crazy woman for even considering bonding two boys :shock:)

Thanks, I'll tell her there are some 'happy ending' stories out there.

Back