• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas needed for new housing on grassed area

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I have a big lawn which I need to expand the bunny housing onto...and I need ideas/suggestions about what to do with it.

There are a number of constraints:

- I can't really afford to pay a tradesman to put slabs or hard-standing down.
- The ground is fairly low-lying and water doesn't drain away very well.
- I usually don't have anyone around to help me...so no mammoth building projects please!

Any ideas are welcome...and pics would be even better!

Ta :wave:

I put my bike shed & run conversion straight onto grass. Just used some sand and paving stones to make a level base for the bike shed. Then for the run just laid aviary panels on top of the existing ground and put some fresh turf on top of the mesh panels. Seems to have worked fine.

My old runs at my mums house were built on a hill and we buried mesh down and under the edge to about 3ft. And when i first moved out of mums and into my own house the hutches and runs were just on the grass and i had mesh bases on the runs to stop the buns digging out, worked really well, they would still eat the grass but it wasn't mammoth task.

That shed base looks like a really good idea... I wonder how well it works, hum ... thanks for the link has got me thinking!

From the looks of it, I'd say that the French drain method (with the pea gravel) would work better because you wouldn't get any splash-back onto the shed.

My shed is on a slab base but the run, which kind of evolved over the years, is simply underwired and has then had turf laid ontop. The grass does get patchy in winter but it soon grows back and I usually re-seed in spring or repair with fresh turf. And just to add, we're on heavy clay soil and although the grass does get slightly boggy in winter, it's had loads of bark chippings mixed in under the turf so it drains reasonably well.

100_0403-2.jpg

From the inside after winter.......
100_0406-1.jpg

100_0405-1.jpg

And from the inside in summer............
11082009198-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back