• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Older Vs Younger

DJGAVT

New Kit
Hi :wave:

Our male bun (3 years old) is finding our new younger girl (16 weeks) a bit to much it seems. She is charging everywhere wanting to run and play and all he wants to do is chill. He keeps trying to lay down but is always on edge as she comes charging around. He has even started stamping now. :(

Its a bit worrying as its even putting him off his food which he normally loves. He is so on edge he doesnt dare eating.

Will he get used to her or being an older bun is he just to set in his ways????

Thanks for your replys

Gav

i assume hes neutered, and shes not hense the mad behaviour, all buns are differant id personaly wait until you get your girlie spayed around 5 months pending on vet preferance,

will lessen chance of cancer, improve behaviour settle hormones and improve toilet training

ive got a almost 6 yr old boy with a 3 yeaar old girl

and 2 yr boy with a 1 yr old girl

age isnt often a problem, but its spring and she will start to get hormanal soon and your boy may get fed up of it

I agree time of year and hormones probably aren't helping. I am finding my girls are charging around a lot more than my boys at free range time at the moment anyway. Not sure its just an age thing Dutchie is three and has mad spells where as Evie is 1 and v quiet

I dont think the poor boy can handle her for much longer :lol:

He looks at us like he is saying "help"

I dont think the poor boy can handle her for much longer :lol:

He looks at us like he is saying "help"

:lol::lol:

here a picture for you imagine a mini rex having been bonded at someone elses house for a dutty weekend with a large lop, bring them home fine

he procceeds to mount her pretty much non stop for 2 hours, shes butted her bum against the wall so he nips her feet to move, thing is hes so small his teeth grip the back of her neck he could only reach her lower back and his back legs dont even touch the floor :lol:

how are you bonding?

you have 2 ways seperate now for a few more weeks give her a soft toy ( watch she doesnt chew it ) to burn herself off,

or leave them to it

scatter food instead of a bowl to encourage him to eat,

thumping nipping fur pulling mounting is normal,

how long did you start bonding and how big is the area you are bonding them ?

We bonded them for 2 days and they seemed pretty happy in the neutral area we used. To start with she was stamping all the time and seemed to be the one in charge but over night he started mounting her and and in the morning her stamping had stopped. We then decided to move them downstairs to his old area (after cleaning with white vinegar etc).

It was after coming down that he started stamping. He never stamped when upstairs in the small 1x2 metre area. The area downstairs is about 2x3m but we did let them into the lounge which is when he started stamping and looking freaked out. Should we not let them in the lounge and just keep them together in the area?

its a common misconception that rabbits can be put together and expected to hit it off straight away, took 2 of mine weeks before i was happy they were happy as it were,

while i see no mention of agression, and think ( through no fault of your own i will add ) she was put with him too soon, you have started and going by what you are telling me seems ok, so keep going,

I take it they are now moved to the permanat ( excuse my bad spelling) living area?

granted i would keep them confinded for a lot longer ( cruel to be kind do not feel bad about lack of space they will get it soon enough :) )

when you see them both looking comfortable with each other, i,e, lieing next to each other, grooming, generaly looking both chilled ( you will see this and know :) ) give a few more days of confinement after that then SLOWLY increase space, too much too soon can be over whelming, and dominance normaly needs to be confirmed, he asserted it upstairs but he lost it when you moved him hense the turn around to her then trying to show dominance

scatter food and have 2 hay piles if ness

avoid fussing, touching, moving again, seperateing, they need to get to know one another

to much has happened a lil too much for your boy, hes been upstairs, down stairs, this young lively thing hasseling him which hes not yet sure about, from what you are saying upstairs he likes her, i see it as positive,

hope you get my waffleing and helps you a bit :)

Back