• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbits and chinchillas any risks being together??

areia

Wise Old Thumper
Pets at home today, me storming to find a superviser, did you know theres a chinchilla running around with your giant rew

" oh yes they are freinds"

" freinds!!!!"

" yes the chinchilla escaped we found them sleeping together"

:? " you going to sell them together?" ( i know stupid question but bare with me)

" no one will want to "

" so do you think it fair they should be together then only to be seperated "

we are also at the cage watching these 2, granted the chinny is on his own, the rabbit so laid back he was pretty much asleep, he did twitch when the chinny nipped his back, but showed no obvious aggression,

Only thing the poor chinny wants to do is escape, he was eyeing up everything and i belive with a bit more determination he will, poor mite, he was not bothered about us just constantly finding ways to escape even tried jumpin up and down on the giants back, ( again giant really not bothered )

" well the chinny is lonely now, "

im like " yesssssss but your going to sell the chinny on his own anyway"

" well this gives the chinny more exersize"

" what about the giant do you exersize him "

" no he doesnt seem to bothered really "

" is it wise you think due to weight and size differance to really keep them together"

" we are watching them, they are seperated at night " :roll: rem chinny escaped in the first place

i knew i wasnt going to get anywhere, I dont know alot about chinnys other than they are good escape artists and jumpers and better chewers than buns :lol: health wise i couldnt argue other than the fact i told her i didnt think it was fair on the pair, are there any health risks ???? apart from the obvious damages a bun can do let alone a giant :(

:censored::evil: Another risk is dietary as chins have extremely sensitive guts and can't tolerate sugars. I was thinking that could be potentially fatal if it nibbled a bit of carrot put there for the bun but then remembered where you saw them together so that's highly unlikely.

i did see him nibble a pellet from the bowl, thing is the chinny escaped but he cant get back into his cage this is the thing i tried to explain, have you ever seperated a bun fighting? all i got was the oh they will alright,

*head and wall*

and i thought they were doing so much better too, granted all pets got food hay extra, but its bad advertiseing really showing them together like that :(

while when i asked if they were going to sell them together, i got the. dont be so stupid look, i just raised my eyebrow at that,

tell you what volunteering has certainly helpt my temper:lol::lol: learnt to just gently suggest and advise without going all hell for leather, i dont actually go in there that often, but my mum gets woodland treats sometimes for frosty

The day i got James, my chinchilla Robert was free ranging (me and James were laying in bed watching tv :lol:) and Robert jumped up on the bed and ran over and sat on top of James.. James didn't seem bothered at all :roll::lol:

But seriously i'd never let them out together, even if they did seem to be getting along ok :? Thats really worrying.

Last edited:
omgomgomg! my rabbit had to be on antibiotics for a week because of an animal from another species biting him. :evil::evil:

Chinchillas are very fragile. We have foster chins and if they are out, Scamp is shut away in the kitchen. Theres no way id let Scamp near them.

As said they need very different diets, plus if the rabbit was on wood shavings, chins arent meant to be near that! xXx

plus if the rabbit was on wood shavings, chins arent meant to be near that! xXx

guess what :roll:

now i have a bit more info will be emailing them

I honestly thought sawdust was ok, or is it just sand they bath in, ( see ive never owned one so i dont know :oops: )

guess what :roll:

now i have a bit more info will be emailing them

I honestly thought sawdust was ok, or is it just sand they bath in, ( see ive never owned one so i dont know :oops: )

You live and learn Zoe. I had my rescue chins for aobut 12 years and didn't know the sawdust bit (not that they were exposed to it at all). They do bathe in special sand as their fur is so dense, that's what keeps it clean. However, they shouldn't bathe for more than 20 mins.

So main concerns: behaviour cross species/ different dietary requirements / possibility of zoonotic diseases (i.e. can transfer cross species e.g. mad cow disease to humans)

Can this possibly be the same "Pets at Home" that made such effusive claims regarding the extensive training and knowledge of their staff when asked recently about their "Easter Bunny offer"?:shock:

These claims were made in writing by a senior P@H manager and are shown on another thread (q.v).:(

Surely, as P@H sell rabbits, chinchillas and food for both types of animal, then they should be replete with knowledge regarding suitable housing, food and whether such animals should be housed together? An instant and informed answer would reasonably have been expected to any questions you raised.:?

Good luck with any email.:wave:

Back