• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Any Ideas on recently Incontinent Bun?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Teasal is 9. He has had calcium/sludge for several years now and has it expressed regularly (monthly). Diet/weight/exercise are not the issue (believe me . . .).

He has had an undercurrent of infections which have been treated with Septrin when they arise.

Last month he got really bunged up and started retaining urine, and also got an infection - His bladder was also identified as being 'atonic' (ie lacking in muscle and 'shape') due to all the constant build ups. So a decision was made to express several times within a couple of weeks to try and get back to a 'normal' bladder. He was also given Septrin again.

All seemed well at first and his wee seemed clearer and also better quantities.

But in the last week has has become pretty much incontinent. He wees all over the place and then sits in it - and as they are quite large wees now (as no calcium in bladder) this is getting very messy .

The urine is always a much darker orange than the rabbit he lives with (ie that has same diet).

I am a bit at a loss as to what to try next . . and I feel the two vets who treat him (both very experienced) are also at a loss. Unsure if the incontinence is due to change in tone or loss of feeling or another hidden issue.

Anyone any ideas at all?? I have considered Pilates for Bunny bladders but do not know whether it is the problem or not, or how on earth to try such a 'regime'!.

IDEAS MUCH APPRECIATED!

PS he was treated for EC at Xmas time in our 'normal' cycle of treatment (28 days).

Don't know if its any help but Timmy had nerve damage to his bladder, but that caused it to swell and not empty properly with small leaks rather than huge wees.

Another Elderly bunny became incontinent due to severe arthritis of the spine putting pressure on her bladder.

Will try to have another think as just passing by between litter trays at the moment :lol:

It's a long time since I read anything on the subject (I had a 9 yo bun with a similar problem but that was about 3 years ago)...I seem to remember in FHB's book she says that if a rabbit has trouble excreting calcium, the bladder and/or kidneys will gradually calcify until they can no longer function properly.

Hope this isn't the case with your boy though.

He was diagnosed as 'atony' a couple of weeks ago - hence the effort to get his bladder emptied for a few days running to hope tone will come back (see comment about Bunny Bladder Pilates).

Do you know if this might be the cause? and if so will it mend?????

He is a free ranging housebunny and its getting rather difficult (especially as we have two lodgers). I get up at 6am to mop up but not in house some days so later accidents go unmopped.

Also worried about flystrike come summer as he has allergy to Rearguard.

Is there a cure for atony??

My vet contacted the manufacturers of propalin when we had major problems with Otto. They said that because the causes of incontinence in a rabbit are so different to that in a dog or cat that they thought it would have little effect, but they also said it probably wouldn't do any harm either. Another problem they mentioned is that there have been no trials of the drug on rabbits so that was another reason for them not knowing the exact effects it could have on a bunny.

Back