• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barbering......fur pulling......

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
For about 3 days now BB has been tugging out Lilys fur on her head,round her eyes and down her forehead.:shock:
The skin isnt showing...not yet anyway, but he seems to have stopped today (4th day)......
She, on the other hand, has nibbled gently round his mouth..He now looks like Chad from Nickelback.......:lol:
I know it sounds amusing....but I hope its stopped.:?

i've done a bit of that recently. not nibbling. i was gently fur pulling for a fortnight or more while they moulted, and now i'm barbering their underneaths as i've given up trying to wash their grubby bums!

i've done a bit of that recently. not nibbling. i was gently fur pulling for a fortnight or more while they moulted, and now i'm barbering their underneaths as i've given up trying to wash their grubby bums!

Theyve started to moult aswell....:roll:
My vet says if BB doesnt stop furpulling, I will have to separate them.......:(

Theyve started to moult aswell....:roll:
My vet says if BB doesnt stop furpulling, I will have to separate them.......:(

Why on earth?! ...When they moult it's what they do!! :?

It's not proper fur pulling...it's just grooming!

Is it??????????????
Do they fur pull in moult?? Poor Lily...
Ian thinks it may be psychlogical if it gets really bad...

They'll pull the loose fur out. I do this with Teddy. He gets it around his cheeks too.

They're only a year and a half, aren't they? Due to illness it's possible that they haven't had a proper moult yet. Having a friend means they help with the moult.

I highly doubt that it's psychological. ....if so then Hugo and Rose are MENTAL!:shock: I've never had to pluck/brush Rose, because Hugo deals with it all. Because Ro is top bun she doesn't groom Hugo as much, so I have to pluck him.

When Ted was single I'd pluck him constantly...but now he's got Roobs I expect to have to far less!

Is it??????????????
Do they fur pull in moult?? Poor Lily...
Ian thinks it may be psychlogical if it gets really bad...

It's not fur pulling, as such. It's loose fur, so they're acting like a brush. :) It won't hurt her at all!

They'll pull the loose fur out. I do this with Teddy. He gets it around his cheeks too.

They're only a year and a half, aren't they? Due to illness it's possible that they haven't had a proper moult yet. Having a friend means they help with the moult.

I highly doubt that it's psychological. ....if so then Hugo and Rose are MENTAL!:shock: I've never had to pluck/brush Rose, because Hugo deals with it all. Because Ro is top bun she doesn't groom Hugo as much, so I have to pluck him.

When Ted was single I'd pluck him constantly...but now he's got Roobs I expect to have to far less!

But its on her face and head!! She wasnt moulting there.The only bun in moult is beebs....
Ive taken all the fur out and watching them both...

But its on her face and head!! She wasnt moulting there.The only bun in moult is beebs....
Ive taken all the fur out and watching them both...

Have you seen this thread?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?p=3667828#post3667828

Hessen has one two about his two!

If it's abnormal then I'll eat my hat .......I would of course have to go out and buy a hat first....so it'd be a bit inconvenient! :lol:

Did you say Lily was doing it to Bb's cheeks?

ETA: found it! http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=220127

thanks! :wave: I'll let you know when it comes. .....I still don't have the ones of Roland! :roll:

Could I ask a question about this?

Thor is having a problem with Indie barbering him... at least that's what I think it is, he has a big naked patch on his neck, and as Indie's not affected and there is no soreness or flakiness I don't think it's mites (although I have given them ivermectin spot on treatment just in case it is).

I don't think it's because Indie is bored, she spends lots of time doing other things - she just likes to hump his face and pull bits of fur off him occasionally and she's got worse with it with the spring. It's not because they don't have enough space, she's more inclined to do it when they are free ranging.

I read on here that someone has been managing overgrooming by putting dog t-shirts on their buns, so I knitted a little cover out of chunky wool - it has big holes in it to fit over Thor's ears (I can fit three fingers in each earhole when he's wearing it so it's not too tight) and they sit at the base of his ears. He doesn't seem overly happy when it's on though, usually he is bouncing around and investigating things and being nosy, but when he has it on he is just lying around looking dejected :(

I also wouldn't like to leave it on him when I am not watching him, even though it just pulls off if you tug at it I would be worried it might catch on something somehow...

so are there any other ideas? I think it would be more stressful to separate them.

Last edited:
If it's abnormal then I'll eat my hat .......I would of course have to go out and buy a hat first....so it'd be a bit inconvenient! :lol:

:lol::lol: your funny when you go into one :lol:

I only find its a problem, if

a if either bun is stressed
b possiable probs with teeth
c not neutered ( which in your case they are)
d bored
e skin is showing and is red raw and sore

if you have a short growth of fur underneath its most likely plucking
though carrie did go through a phase of licking bigs eyelashes off, he look most strange

applebed how long has yours been going on? if your boy doesnt like his jumper i wouldnt put him in it if you can help it, some buns dont mind ( the imfamous timmy comes to mind RIP )
is his patch bald bald or just very very short fuzz, mite treatment good idea, id go for a possiable teeth check for indie,

do you use a mineral stone, or salt lick at all?

although a good diet these are not normaly really needed, might be an idea to try one,

Back