• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please!

Sandra

Warren Scout
Hi all, we currently live in Jordan with our 2 house rabbits. I am going home to Sweden next week and thought about stocking up on necessary rabbit meds etc as I cannot order anything to Jordan.

The only vaccinations the buns have gotten are for rabies (we had to get them rabies vaccinated to bring them from Iceland to Jordan). Would it be a good idea to try to get hold of vaccinations for VHD and Myxomatosis?

Last year our girl Mýsla (who sadly passed in December) got mites and all buns were given Ivermectin injections. This was in May last year. Should I get them Panacur? If so, should they be given the 28 day course?

Is there anything else you guys would recommend? I am ordering more Critical Care Formula, Avi Pro, Fly Guard, Spot On etc. plus a lot of nice toys and treats from The Hay Expert :)

The vets here are a disaster so I pretty much need to be ready for anything:?

Thank you!
Sandra and the bunnies

If you can I would get hold of as much as possible but I dont know if you will be able to without prescripsion? :?

• You should DEFINATLY try and get hold of the jabs for VHD and Myxi
  • Panacur would be a good idea, if they are showing any signs of parrasites then a 28 day course would be advisable otherwise do a 9 consecutive day course 3-4 times per year
  • Try and get hold of Metacam, which is a pain relief
  • Would also be a good idea to get hold of Metacloprimide which is a gut stimulant
  • Rear guard- Protects against Flystrike
  • Fibreplex is great- A high fibre paste to keep the guts going after a slow down

I can not think of anything else but I am sure more people will be along soon. :wave:

Do you vaccinate your buns yourself? I don't know if you will be able to order them as I suspect they'll only be available through a vet. Metacam is prescription only so although great you won't be able to get that. I'd also advise against using any medication you don't know about without consulting a vet.

I may have read your post wrong, but panacur and ivermectin are used for different things. Panacur is used for the treatment and prevention of worms and parasites, including Encephalitozoon cuniculi, or EC. Ivermectin is also an antiparasitic but is used more commonly for mites. It's available in a spot on form so not just by injection. Both are available online without a prescription, but please be aware that they'll both have use-by dates.

Apart from what rachylou has said, I'd add critical care for emergencies, it's a high calorie food for when a bun won't eat and is similar fibreplex. I'd also add tea tree oil for any little scrapes.

Here's a thread of things to keep in a first aid box :D
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46658

:wave:Hi,

If you are seeking to import veterinary products into Jordan for your buns, you might wish to check on the Customs position for the specific products before you do so.

http://gain.fas.usda.gov/recent%20gain%20publications/food%20and%20agricultural%20import%20regulations%20and%20standards%20-%20narrative_amman_jordan_7-30-2009.pdf

Depending on the product, there might be no problem. However, taking products and then getting them impounded or refused could be very frustrating.:shock:

Hi, thanks for your replies and good points! :wave:

There is usually not a problem bringing things to Jordan. I usually have my bags full of rabbit stuff... :) They never check anything (Inshallah as they say here :)). I bring the rabbit papers just in case they want to check what it is for. I have a vet in Sweden who can prescribe vaccinations for me in case I need it. Being here without access to proper vet care has taught us a lot and we are now used to giving buns injections etc. I still have some Metacam at home from when my Mýsla was sick. But I will definitely try to get hold of some gut stimulant like Metacloprimide.

Thanks!

Sandra

Not sure how widely it is used but my bun recently had fucithalmic eye ointment as it can be used for eye infection and as an antibiotic on wounds and it worked brilliantly :)
Must be a bit scary having no vet to hand :shock:

Back