• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and Guinea pigs

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
When I was younger I remember a lot of people having Rabbits and Guinea pigs together, especially the local pet shop.

However I now know that it isnt advised due to rabbits sometimes hurting the piggies by accident.

What are the other reasons for not keeping them together?? Is it a big no no or is it debateable whether they should be together??

:?

Apart from the risk of injury to the guinea pig from being squashed, kicked, bit etc, they communicate totally differently and also have different dietary requirements.

Took the words out of my mouth - I was going to say dietary requirements are different.

Beryl, my new piggie, had been living with a rabbit for five and a half years. As a result she was extremely underweight because the rabbit had been getting the lions share of food plus her fur was all matted on the top of her back where the bunny had been humping her. She's much, much happier now that she's living with a neutered boar.

Thats enough for me to decide that rabbits and guinea pigs should be kept seperately, Thank you :)

Went to pet store and saw a little piggie that has been there for a while and is up for adoption. I feel so sorry for the poor thing but at the moment i only have the space for one hutch :cry:

i won't be getting the guinea as its not fair on the poor thing to keep it with my rabbit but i thought it was worth looking into xx

Thats enough for me to decide that rabbits and guinea pigs should be kept seperately, Thank you :)

Went to pet store and saw a little piggie that has been there for a while and is up for adoption. I feel so sorry for the poor thing but at the moment i only have the space for one hutch :cry:

i won't be getting the guinea as its not fair on the poor thing to keep it with my rabbit but i thought it was worth looking into xx

its difficult as we cant save them all i know! iv been in your shoes over and over.
g.pigs cannot make own vit c and so need additional vit c in diet to rabbit, also they need other g..pig company as they communicate with squeaks and sqeeuls also rabbits can injur by playing accidently and the other one is that they can pass disease to each other that wouldnt bother thier own species but i cannot remember what it is!x

best to contact your lcoal rescue if you are looking to pai up your bunny they will help pick the right bunny and your bun will be happier with company too x

Also rabbits can carry bordetella (a bit like kennel cough), its harmless to them but could potentially kill a piggy.

been to the pet store today and the little piggie has gone :D i hope he has gone to a good home, it makes me feel loads better....

however... i have now got my eye on a little rabbit friend for Bernard :( i should stay away from pet stores ! !
Thanks everyone x

Back