• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescues - permanent fosters

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
This isnt an enquiry or anything, its a general wondering i was just chatting to my mum about rescues and she was talking about bunnies that have to stay permanents due to their health.

And she wanted to know, would a rescue ever place such a bun into a home enviroment with someone but it is fostered through the rescue still, so they get a "home enviroment"

or is it the case (this is what i assume) that, if they are at the point where they cant be rehomed thats why they stay permanents, that they cannot be fostered out permanently...because if they could, then theres no reason why they cant be rehomed?

theres no reason for this at all its just we were talking about it over a cup of tea.

I said i assume they stay at rescue because if they could go into a home enviroment then surely that would mean they could be rehomed?

i apolegise for this pointless question!

We have 3 permanant bunnies who may be being permanantely fostered after a fosterer found it too hard giving up her foster babies for the first time, and is reassured that these 3 will always be with her.

The foster couple live 5 blocks away from me and all feed and hay would be supplied by the rescue, them being taken via our vet for any treatment so it all goes onto our bill.

It is just a way that they get the love and cuddles of a home, whilst being guaranteed that their needs will still be met (Waffle needs monthly dentals, Muffin occasionally needs his reoccuring incisor removed and eye drops, and Crumpet had fear aggression problems until bonded with Muffin.

yup quite often. It's not fair for the bunnies to be stuck in rescue with little human interaction so it is better to fost them out and unfortunately some bunnies are just unrehomable. You do have the option of letting them go to a home and paying for vet treatement but then the prices that the vets charge may be much higher than the rescue would pay e.g. for dentals which could be 10 times the price. Some also might need regular medical treatement like home injections that a novice keeper wouldn't be able to cope with but an experienced foster mum would be able to and it would also be difficult for us to hand over a bunny with say a known short life expectancy and might be better to let them end their days in a home environment but still with the full back up of the rescue. Most of our permenant residents go in with chloes fatfluffs although chloe had daisy inside with max. I have panda.

Last edited:
My Bridge Bunny Justin was a permanent foster bun. I had the space and the time for another bun but knew I couldn't afford the vet bills so I took on Justin who was a dental bun. His vaccinations were covered by the rescue too but I paid for food and hay.

When Justin needed vet treatment he had to go back to rescue so he could see the vet they use. Sadly, he spent a lot of time back at rescue as he developed other problems and eventually had to be PTS because of a stomach tumour. All vet treatment was covered by rescue but some rescues only pay for the condition they are fostered for - so Justin would only have been covered for dentals.

I would never foster on that basis again as it was incredibly stressful keep taking Justin back to rescue and having to leave him there. I visited as often as I could but he was kept in a small cage as the rescue were completely over-flowing. I would have taken him to the vet a lot sooner and more often than rescue did. Going through a third party continually to find out what was wrong was difficult too.

I miss Justin loads and hope he was happy with me but I feel very guilty that for the two weeks prior to being PTS he was at rescue with just visits from me to let him out and play and cuddle him. I wasn't there when he was PTS either and just hope he knows how much I loved him. I did go and collect him and talked to him loads before he was buried. He is now in the garden - hopefully at peace.

He was a very special bun - really good natured and cuddly.

RIP my little snugglebun x

i couldnt do this because i think vets in essex are rather expensive. its just something i would love to do one day. :)

I've got rabbits from the RSPCA that would have been deemed too ill to be rehomed and so would have been PTS. They are happy here. I know that's not the same situation, but it still involves placing a rabbit deemed unrehomable into a home situation :) Its a lovely thing to do, I know that for sure.

I've thought of offering to be one before - but then I'd feel guilty about not paying for my "own" buns -so I might as well adopt. Plus added guilt, if you break someone else's bun

I'm debating fostering in the future.
I can't take on any buns of my own because our financial future will soon be less with my husband's retirement, and while food and bedding would not be a problem I don't think I could afford big vet bills in 12yrs time.

However I have had rabbits for many years so do have experience.
I understand what you mean about wanting to pay for buns vet fees so you would adopt, but some, like me, will not wish to take on that financial commitment. Pet plans do not cover buns with existing problems particularly when they are elderly. I realise everyone's financial circumstances CAN change but it you know they're going to, you have to take that into consideration.
It's nice for buns to get the chance of a home life for a while. The rescues would still have to pay for their vet fees and it frees up space and time for the rescue. I think buns llike a holiday too.
sue -:wave:

I've thought of offering to be one before - but then I'd feel guilty about not paying for my "own" buns -so I might as well adopt. Plus added guilt, if you break someone else's bun

that was sort of how i felt, if you take them into your home, bond with your existing buns etc etc, they would practically be "your" buns, so you want want to pay for them.

i dont really know why i started wondering about it to be honest!

that was sort of how i felt, if you take them into your home, bond with your existing buns etc etc, they would practically be "your" buns, so you want want to pay for them.

I totally agree with this. But then part of me feels that if an experienced bunny owner has the time and commitment to look after a permanant fosterer its a shame if the bunny would lose out the chance of having such a fab opportunity because of finances.

I totally agree with this. But then part of me feels that if an experienced bunny owner has the time and commitment to look after a permanant fosterer its a shame if the bunny would lose out the chance of having such a fab opportunity because of finances.

thats my other view! caring for peanut was so rewarding, despite the fact he didnt make it. I didnt begrudge the time, or the effort required to care for him, and he was ALOT of work for nearly a year. meds x 3 a day, bandages, etc etc, but i loved it.

I just dont know what seems more "right" in my eyes right now. not that it matters.

but i would love to foster a bun who needed extra care :love:

Back