• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please give advice on spaying

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
I need to know everything about the risks of the op, the aftercare, and what can go wrong while they are recovering. I lost a bun before to this, never had Rosie done, but Jura is so aggressive I want them done.

But my vets practise is so basic, and in the middle of no where, its hard to get there easily, and especially as I don't drive. There's only one taxi here and he only does until 5pm! Plus, 59 miles there and the same back will be expensive, so I am hoping to try and make it just one trip. What can go wrong? Can you give me any tips on how to make their recovery easy and as painless as possible?

They are booked in for the 2nd of April. :cry:

Firstly ask your vet how many does they spay on a regular basis. You need to make sure they are competent at doing the op. It's a bit op for a girly bun to have and you need to make sure she will be in the best hands.

If they routinly perform this op then you don't have much to worry about. From what i know, bunnies problems are with the GA and not the actual op. If your bun is healthy and strong then she should have no problems handling the GA.

The bun is under for about 45 mins (i think). The vet should NOT let bun home until she hs come round/recovered from the GA and have eaten a little . Take in a packed lunch of your buns fav things to encourage eating.

Last edited:
Firstly ask your vet how many does they spay on a regular basis. You need to make sure they are competent at doing the op. It's a bit op for a girly bun to have and you need to make sure she will be in the best hands.

If they routinly perform this op then you don't have much to worry about. From what i know, bunnies problems are with the GA and not the actual op. If your bun is healthy and strong then she should have no problems handling the GA.

The bun is under for about 45 mins (i think). The vet should NOT let bun home until she hs come round/recovered from the GA and have eaten a little . Take in a packed lunch of your buns fav things to encourage eating.

Thanks. She is a very small vets practise (its not actually a building but a portakabin and an old converted ambulance), and we are a very remote area. The next vet is about 2 hours away, or 2 1/2 in the other direction. There is only a handful of bunnies in the area so I don't imagine she has done many.

If it helps, she is a lovely vet, really cares about the animals in her care. She has operated on my cat before, and that went well, so I feel OK about her doing it, just worried about the anaesthetic.

They are both about 6 months old, and are fit and healthy, but so was the bunny I had that died when under :( (with our old vet, where we used to live, who was a rubbish vet). So Im thinking they will be fine, but just knowing what happened before, makes me worry.

Can you get collars to stop them getting at the stitches like with dogs and cats?

Hello, Spaying is a hard decision to make and I apologise if this upsets anyone but this is what happened to my bunnys I lost my baby girl back in jan 2008 she had a reaction of some kind as well a 3 heart attacks.she was 4 and a half months old.
My other baby was spayed back in 2007 she was 7mths old then and although she came through the operation she didn't poo or eat afterwards it took a whole month of syringe feeding and medications to help her to survive and just last year she was diagnosed with tumours in her tummy and they can't operate I put it down to her operation and blame myself but.......... Alot of rabbits pull through the operations ok, I have got 3 males and they were ok.
If your rabbit is aggressive the operation can calm them down and make them more friendly and of course help prevent cancer and live longer.
I think that its safer to spay females at 6mths of age ,Its your decision do what you feel is right.
Good Luck.

Hi!

My vet does the stiches internally with disolving stiches, so they are less likely to pull them out. In generally, it's better for rabbits not to have a coller on to stop them getting to the stiches because that will stop them eating their cecals (the soft rabbit poo).

When she gets home, it is best to keep her on something nice and soft for a few days too.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

Hello, Spaying is a hard decision to make and I apologise if this upsets anyone but this is what happened to my bunnys I lost my baby girl back in jan 2008 she had a reaction of some kind as well a 3 heart attacks.she was 4 and a half months old.
My other baby was spayed back in 2007 she was 7mths old then and although she came through the operation she didn't poo or eat afterwards it took a whole month of syringe feeding and medications to help her to survive and just last year she was diagnosed with tumours in her tummy and they can't operate I put it down to her operation and blame myself but.......... Alot of rabbits pull through the operations ok, I have got 3 males and they were ok.
If your rabbit is aggressive the operation can calm them down and make them more friendly and of course help prevent cancer and live longer.
I think that its safer to spay females at 6mths of age ,Its your decision do what you feel is right.
Good Luck.

Thanks, I need to know the bad side too. Sorry to hear of all the troubles you had :( if they weren't so grumpy, I wouldn't be having them done.

Hi!

My vet does the stiches internally with disolving stiches, so they are less likely to pull them out. In generally, it's better for rabbits not to have a coller on to stop them getting to the stiches because that will stop them eating their cecals (the soft rabbit poo).

When she gets home, it is best to keep her on something nice and soft for a few days too.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

Thanks, I'll check on the stitches, and hopefully she will do disolving ones.

Back