• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Juice with Baytril?

Coineanach

Wise Old Thumper
Is it okay to add sugar-free diluting juice to baytril? I was reading this tip on the guinea pig forum. Vinnie is on Baytril and is really hating it, it's a longer course and she puts up such a fight, I'm getting whimpers now which bothers me more than the growls I was getting before. I'm still getting it into her but I've tried everything else and I'm stuck.

Sadly not. I've tried it in all her favourites, she eats round the bit with the meds on. :roll: When I mash it into banana or porridge she leaves the whole thing.

:( lil madam,

im not sure on juice, hopefully someone will be along, ive been really lucky so far doc hates baytil but i put his on food at dinner time when i know hes hugry just on a few pellets,

it does feel horrid syringe it, i get so worried im pushing down his lungs not throat

She is that, and too clever by half. She had a little trick with the panacur where she held it in her mouth and then let it dribble out the other side. :roll:

Vinnie is on unlimited pellets because she takes about a week to eat a bowl anyway, she's a hay muncher so I can't even restrict her food for when she's hungry. Plus she needs to eat as much as possible to put on some much needed weight. I just feel awful syringe-feeding it when it's obviously so uncomfortable for her.

porriage ?? for weight gain as well as meds maybe

i know some peeps feed half teaspoon of normal porriage to fatten buns up mixed with water,

pinapple juice cant be too bad provided some give to buns while they are in moult. perhaps fresh diluted pinapple juice cant do any harm maybe

She leaves the porridge if I mix baytril in. :roll: I'll buy some pineapple juice and try that though, thanks :D She has a very sweet tooth :lol:

My vet recommended a bit of blackcurrant juice with the baytril if I had to syringe feed it because she would eat it hidden in food.

Horrible stuff baytril! Smells like nail polish remover :? I add some fresh pineapple juice to mine and this makes it easier. It has to be pure though x

Back