• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another 'new bunny' hypocondriac question....U/D BOY???

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
First of all apologies for all the questions, I get like this with a new bunny!

Twiglet is grunting.........and I dont mean the usual territorial 'i dont like this' grunt.

Since I got her home she has done it constantly- whilst exploring and even whilst playing. It stops for a few minutes every now and then which makes me think its not her breathing.

It sounds like the noise someone makes with a chesty cough before they cough!

She is not having any nasal discharge and is bright and perky- but why the constant grunt? She does it twice as loud when we pick her up....

Noodle is fine binkying everywhere- twiglet follows her but doing this constant grunt the whole time.

I asked my mom but she said ',maybe she will just have a grunt '

is this possible?

Last edited:
i honestly dont believe she is ill, but she does have bite marks on her ear and above her eye that have scabbed- probably from babies or in the pet shop. They have scabbed well and dont look infected....

I have had a few male bunnies who made sounds when hopping around, most of the time it sounded more like buzzing than croaking. Cloud still does it sometimes, when he's excited to see me, but it has become much less since he was neutered.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

think i just saw the beginning of a testicle...............

:shock::shock::shock:

I got a free health check with the bunnies to use at a local vets- will take that up next week and make double sure

i definately saw a small pink cirle one side of the genitals..... these cant be anything but can they? Rabbits dont have anal glands do they that I could have seen by mistake?

I definately saw what looked like a pink lump coming through the skin, smaller than a 5pence piece!

Think that sounds like a testicle coming?

If he is a boy and I get him done asap- they wont mate will they? They are still babies... I cant split them up they love each other!

I know it's not always the case but I have known of some places that sell pets to get the sexes wrong on purpose in the hope that they'll get the babies back for free :?

:shock::shock:

When I had pet rats, we had a female and wanted her to have company. Bought a "female" and my rat got pregnant. Had to take the male back, and the petshop owner casually turned around with "oh well I'll take the babies off your hands for you when they're born"...

If one of them is a boy, then you need to keep an eye on the testicles and as soon as they drop, he can be neutered. Some vets even do it a bit before that. Females usually need about 4 to 8 weeks longer to become fertile, so you should be ok with leaving them together.
I would take them to the vet as soon as possible to have their gender confirmed. Luckily you chose some neutral names for them, so it doesn't really matter what they turn out to be. :)

If one of them is a boy, then you need to keep an eye on the testicles and as soon as they drop, he can be neutered. Some vets even do it a bit before that. Females usually need about 4 to 8 weeks longer to become fertile, so you should be ok with leaving them together.
I would take them to the vet as soon as possible to have their gender confirmed. Luckily you chose some neutral names for them, so it doesn't really matter what they turn out to be. :)

thanks, thats really helpful and put my mind at ease. Appointment booked for monday morning! :D

How old is your other bun? She may already be preggars if this new one is male.Have you got room for the babies? Otherwise I wuld be looking at getting an emergency spay. Such a shame after you rehomed your other bun.

Back