• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Big Enough Hutch?

Deffinitely not :)
The bare minimum would be 6ftx2ftx2ft with 6ftx4ft run.
Happy Hutch does this for £150, so not much more :wave:
Personally, if you have a bit more cash to spare I'd opt for a shed and attatch a run :) :wave:

I would love to have a shed with a run but I dont think I have enough room in my garden.

I cant seem to find the hutch and run for 150. Can you maybe send me the link?

Deffinitely not :)
The bare minimum would be 6ftx2ftx2ft with 6ftx4ft run.
Happy Hutch does this for £150, so not much more :wave:
Personally, if you have a bit more cash to spare I'd opt for a shed and attatch a run :) :wave:

Hello welcome to RU.

I agree with Spider the minimum that small to medium sized buns should be housed in is 6x2x2. But, the bigger the better. 18inches is not tall enough for hutch or run height.

I really don't understand why people are still making hutches so tiny these days with all of the info available about RWA/RSPCA/rescue/Animal Welfare Act guidelines.

I think you can do much better - Happy Hutch do a much better hutch - just get them to make you a bigger one.

Helen:D

How much room have you got on your patio?
Could you not opt for something like a wendy house with attatched run? :wave:

Now that you have mentioned wendy house you have me thinking. We all ready have a large wendy house in the garden that is now full of rubbish. I am now thinking if maybe we were to clean it out and add a run to it, it might be ok for rabbits. Only thing is that it is made of plastic for maybe not such a good idea.

Where would I get a cheap wooden wendy house?

Hiya :wave:
The good thing about the plastic is it would be very easy to clean thoroughly which is fab. How thick is the plastic and is it rain and draught proof? Do you think it might get abit hot in there in summer and cold in winter? Sounds like it could work with a few moderations :thumb:
xxx

Hello! I go this one for 2 of my bunnies http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-SYKES-MAS...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item51916b5109

Its the larger happy hutch one and £135 and in my opinion, great quality. Although the run is not very high the hutch has plenty of room for my little dwarf, Star - stretched right up on back legs she is nowhere near the roof of the 2ft high hutch. However, she is together with a very slightly larger bunny and it just doesnt seem quite big enough for him at all. So I have purchased an entirely different set up which when I move again very soon, I can finally build! With you having 2 dwarfs, I think this will be lovely for them, Star can definitely jump in the air still in the run, over tunnels etc, she is so tiny! I also have a separate 8ft x 8ft run for better weather though. If I had my time again I would just ask for a bigger run 6x6ft maybe and 2ft high (if I had 2 dwarfs!) if this is to be permanent - as I said its been ok for my first year of owning bunnies (as an adult!), but they do need much more room. Hopefully this is still affordable for you and you have the space. Also bought custom made insulating/wind/rain proof covers for almost £100 to cover it, but reckon I could have done it myself with some tarporlin and the insulating stuff from DIY place! :0) good luck!!

Hiya :wave:
The good thing about the plastic is it would be very easy to clean thoroughly which is fab. How thick is the plastic and is it rain and draught proof? Do you think it might get abit hot in there in summer and cold in winter? Sounds like it could work with a few moderations :thumb:
xxx

Yeah, I'd steer clear of plastic. Bunnies chew and even though they chew wood too, plastic could be very harmful.

Plus, you would find it hard to mesh the windows over, and it would be too cold in winter and too hot in summer (like those awful Eglu Omlet thingys).

Waltons garden buildings do a lovely wendy house for about £180 (I have 5 of them in my garden).:D with rabbits in them.

Its very thick plastic but it has open windows and I think it would be too hot in the summer time. Think it might be an idea to chuck the plastic wendy house and replace it with a small wooden shed or wooden wendy house.

I wish I had came on here first. I dont think a lot of people relise how much work bunnies really are. I feel so sorry for all the bunnies being bought in pet shops this easter:cry:.

I disagree with the double the cost actually.
It baffles me that so many people buy hutches for 100-200+ when they can get a nice cheap second hand shed and build a run themselves, which can be a lot cheaper!
I had a 6ftx4ft shed go near me for £25 in near perfect condition!

Could you send me link please?

Sure,

This is the one I have (although) four have the door to the side - the ones I have like this seem to be discontinued with only this one with the middle door now. I think you may be able to hunt for cheaper or even second hand at a cheaper price.

There are quite a number of threads on here of how to convert for rabbits. This is one I did a long time ago now with a second hand wendy. I have tried lots of different set ups since that work too.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=133292

Omg that is amazing:shock:.

I think that is what I am gona have to go for cause I have fallen in love with it.

Is it ok to have the run on slabs? They wont hurt their feet or anything?

Back