• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Anyone used Zithromax for Staph A. abscesses?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
I've just found a journal article from 1995 re. an experiment using Azithromycin to treat Staph A. abscesses in rabbits. I can't link to it because I think you need a subscription...but was wondering if anybody had used Zithromax for this purpose, and if they had any success?

Quote:

Azithromycin was found to be effective in this S. aureus abscess model, and the efficacy was similar in the acute and chronic abscesses. We have previously tested cefazolin, ciprofloxacin, and ciprofloxacin plus rifampicin in the treatment of two week old S. aureus abscesses, utilizing the same bacterial strains and the same experimental conditions (Bamberger et al., 1991). When comparing the earlier results with results of azithromycin
at day 8, the efficacy of azithromycin was similar to cefazolin but less than that of ciprofloxacin plus rifampicin.

The purpose of this study was to determine if the unique properties of azithromycin are useful for the treatment of staphylococcal abscesses. These properties include the ability to concentrate within neutrophils, and to remain active against intracellular organisms, to concentrate at inflammatory foci, and to act synergistically with neutrophils in killing bacteria. The 29-6% additional killing by neutrophils with azithromycin compared with azithromycin alone, compares favourably to the results we have obtained with cefazolin, ciprofloxacin, and the combination of ciprofloxacin and rifampicin...

...Azithromycin was effective in reducing the bacterial
concentration in both 24 h and two week old infected tissue cages, and moderately
effective in clearing the infection by the end of treatment.

Azithromycin in an experimental Staphylococcus aureus abscess modelD. M. Bamberger, B. L. Herndon and P. R. Suvarna
Section of Infections Diseases, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine

Thanks for the articles.I am sharing the my experience.
I was given zithromax for a boil on my butt and another boil on the front side just under my hip bone, i was given the 5 day treatment, 2 pills first day one pill for the next 4 days.

this is day number 4, my boils haven't gone down in size at all but they do hurt less, i am concerened however that when my zithromax runs out tomorrow they will only get worse.

does zithromax continue to work after the 5 days of taking it? it does say on the box that it is a full course of antibiotics in only 5 days.

does zithromax continue to work after the 5 days of taking it? it does say on the box that it is a full course of antibiotics in only 5 days.

Don't know about treating human ailments, but you definitely need more than 5 days for rabbits (I think we're talking weeks rather than days)

Thank you for a very interesting post.
I would very much like to see the whole paper including the methodology. What a shame you cannot access the site.

vrchards, rabbit abscesses present different problems from human abscesses. Rabbits do not have the enzyme to make their pus liquid, & flow easily like we have. Rabbit abscesses have much thicker walls, & narrow finger like projections, so it is difficult to actually get the antibiotic fom the blood stream into the abscess. The closer human equivalent would be an infected sebaceous cyst, in terms of approaches to management, which is removal of the whole capsule when possible.

Having said that, I sincerely wish you a speedy recovery. There is an old surgical adage "if there's pus, let it out". Relief is immediate :D:D:D

Thank you for a very interesting post.
I would very much like to see the whole paper including the methodology. What a shame you cannot access the site.

I can access the article (I work in a library) but I can't link to it so others can see it.

I could cut and paste the whole article into this thread, but I'm not sure if Tamsin would be happy because it raises copyright issues :?

I can access the article (I work in a library) but I can't link to it so others can see it.

I could cut and paste the whole article into this thread, but I'm not sure if Tamsin would be happy because it raises copyright issues :?

Thank you for your reply Abbymarysmokey.
We must not breach copyright issues.

On reflection there could be a potential for the methodology to prove distressing for many, including me!
I feel that your approach of asking the forum for their experience is the best way forward on this topic.

I know of at least 1 rabbit vet who legally accesses original research papers (especially medical research) to improve the medical treatment of bunnies.

Slightly off topic, but in the same general area, there seems to be a current trend towards our pets contracting infections by bacteria hitherto thought to be confined to humans. I have no information about why this should be. Humans do not appear to be similarly at risk from their pets.

May I try to return to the original topic which remains unanswered?
bump

Thank you for helping me to access the full paper Mudgy.

Firstly I admit that I do not know what a wiffle ball looks like or the materials from which it is made, or whether the wall is solid or perforated.
I feel that there are folk on the forum who are closer to scientific research than I am. They could provide a better evaluation in depth.

1) Sadly, this research is invalid throughout statistically.

2) It is my opinion that it is a poor model of a rabbit abscess.

a) It is accepted that the best way to isolate the infecting organism in rabbit abscess, is to send a specimen of the abscess capsule (wall) for culture. This implies to me that the capsule has the highest concentration of viable organisms. Also far superior results are obtained by the complete excision of the capsule at surgery, when it is technically possible. The important issue of viable bacteria in the capsule was not addressed.

b) The research describes the infected "fluid" being "aspirated through an 18 Gibbon catheter". This does not sound to me like rabbit pus.

I would describe the work as a good attempt to mimick a rabbit abscess & minimise the distress to the rabbit, but it didn't work.
It sounds a reasonable research model for human abscesses.

However, it does demonstrate that zithromax can cross a membrane + fibrous tissue (capsule). I wonder whether that is one of the reasons why Rami uses it for URI in rabbits?

Last edited:
I wonder whether that is one of the reasons why Rami uses it for URI in rabbits?

I agree with all you say, and I'm sure he has very good reason, for only citing URI's as a use for it.
He's very approachable. Would you like me to PM his email, so you can discuss it with him?

I agree with all you say, and I'm sure he has very good reason, for only citing URI's as a use for it.
He's very approachable. Would you like me to PM his email, so you can discuss it with him?

Abbeymarysmokey, I ask your patience & forgiveness for me going off topic. I see a potential to help our buns with staph. aureus URI which sadly claims many lives. How lovely if so much good could come from your thread, as a result of your researches.:D

Mudgy, I would be grateful if you would pm me his e-mail. I shall see my own vet next week, & also discuss it with her.

I discussed the use of zithromax briefly with my vet.
As I have implied, we do not have an AB which will make an abscess go away. The surgery is an integral part of treatment, & that can be restricted by the local anatomy.

She also finds it very useful for URI, in a 10 day course, & has found it to be effective where other AB's have failed .:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Thank you abbeymarysmokey & mudgy.

Back