• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with girgling stomach.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, My rabbit has been on alot of medication this last week to get his gut moving he has almost finished his course but his stomach seems to always girgle and I am wandering whether this is normal or perhaps his gut is going into statis again.
Has anyone had this with their rabbit.
Thanks

I'm not an expert by any means, but both of my buns have very loud gurgling stomachs whenever they drink water, I think this is fairly normal.

Sorry if I'm just stating the obvious,:oops: but is it all the time, or just when he's drinking?

If he has been on alot of gut motility stimulating meds (Metoclopromide, Ranitidine) then 'gurgling' is very likely to occur.
Is your Rabbit eating/drinking and passing normal faeces now ?

Hello, Snowy is eating well,drinking and pooing well now,I am pleased with him he seems alot happier now he has now stopped all the medications except panacur and zantac, the zantac stops tomorrow, I hope that when the medications are out of his system he doesn't revert back to being ill again. I am trying to find another vet because mine has got a bit expensive,I am thinking of moving him to a vet in romsey because there vet prices are quite reasonable because the vets I am with at the moment want to charge me £84 for an xray and the vets in romsey want to charge me £20.
The only thing is I don't want to take him to a vet that doesn't treat rabbits but if a xray is needed I would probably just take him to the cheaper vet.
What a price difference.

Back