• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Smelly Bunny

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Oh help me!

Smudge smells again. I say again because he used to smell before he was neutered. After neutering it seemed to tail off but now it's getting quite pungent again. He is an incredibly clean bunny, he poops where he should and you should see his fur, brighter than Daz I tell you, especially round the bum and back paws. But the smell lingers.

I don't know what to do. I mean, I suspect it is something to do with Spring Fever because of the fact last time he smelt he was horny.

Do I ride the smell out or try to work out a way to stop it?

Could his scent glands need cleaning?
My lad cleaned his own, after I put some sunflower oil over them to loosen things up. Bless him, for sparing me a smelly job.

If his scent glands are clean its probably spring fever. My buns used to smell when they were horny before getting fixed aswell. Not a nice smell!
xxx

Both males and femals have sent glands, they are just either side of their genitals, you'll know about it if there full up.

My Max is a smelly bunny, and there is no explanation, he's clean and tidy and does stuff where he's supposed to but he stinks! I can clean him and bootz out and an hour later they reak!

Could it be the food he is eating? My Bunny used to stink when I got her, and it was because I was giving her too many Excel pellets. It was almost a BO smell!

She is no longer a stinkeh bunneh since I cut her pellets down! :D

i found excell pellets made there poop smell more, scent glands have a sweet sickly BO whiff to them, he long haired ? might be lingering on the fur

Their food hasn't changed. I'm just about to check the scent glands. I'm going in, I may be some time. :lol:

Scent glands are fine, once I'd found them in all the fur! He had a few matts on his belly so he has the hump with me now. Gave him a good brush while I was at it, you should see all the fur I got out! I think I may have to start giving him a quick brush every day instead of every week.

Don't think any of this is contributing to the smell. I think it must be Spring Fever.

_IGP6878-vi.jpg

And that's after I'll 'balled' it up a bit. He's still all scraggly under his chin. :roll:

just saw a web site saying you need to clean these glands out???? I have never done this any my bunnies dont smell........does anyone else?

Im sorry but I couldnt do it even if I tried its gross!

Jemma&Theo,

Normally they do it themselves. I have only ever had to do it once with Mischa. Since then he has kept them clean, as have the others. As long as they don't get too big to turn round and clean themselves they should be fine left alone.

Jemma&Theo,

Normally they do it themselves. I have only ever had to do it once with Mischa. Since then he has kept them clean, as have the others. As long as they don't get too big to turn round and clean themselves they should be fine left alone.

ooohh thank god! phhheeeewwwwwwww:roll:

Jemma&Theo,

I add my full agreement here. It's a sensitive area & buns can attend to it better than we can. It's only when the bun hasn't attended to the area that we need to intervene.
I've only heard of 2 buns, both bucks, who needed occasional help.

Back