• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bunny advice....

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Hi,

some of you may have seen my other thread about my new bunnies.

Two girls only 10 weeks old.

Tonight I have checked on them, they are skittish and one is growling lots.

Any tips for tomorrow as I am fitting the run and want to start interaction.

Shall I just sit and let them come to me?

I know they will get stroppy with their hormones before I get them neutered........Had a a baby bun before it was almost unbearable at first.. I know these are going to start getting nasty- is there any way I can prevent this before neutering as I cant get that done for another 6 weeks or so.

anyone got any baby - bun training tips? Any advice?

Thanks

when my girls were babies, i would just sit in the run with them. they were scared at first, but then they just come over and sniff you and get to know you. at the start, I picked them up a few times a day so that they got used to this.

My first girl, Ophelia was a monster from hormones, but sadly died during her spay.

All my other female babies have been fine. Ruby is the current baby, at almost 6 months. I haven't had a problem with aggression with her, and there's been little problem between her and Teddy.......but she was really well handled when a kit. (Don't know if that made any difference.)

I'd just be patient. Be aware that you might have to split them up if a fight ensues. Give them two bowls of food/water or scatter it on the floor. Don't let them see/smell your other bunnies as that can cause serious fights through referred aggression with hormonal buns.

My first girl, Ophelia was a monster from hormones, but sadly died during her spay.

All my other female babies have been fine. Ruby is the current baby, at almost 6 months. I haven't had a problem with aggression with her, and there's been little problem between her and Teddy.......but she was really well handled when a kit. (Don't know if that made any difference.)

I'd just be patient. Be aware that you might have to split them up if a fight ensues. Give them two bowls of food/water or scatter it on the floor. Don't let them see/smell your other bunnies as that can cause serious fights through referred aggression with hormonal buns.

Yeah for some reason they were really close in the shop, since bringing them home they have stayed apart- think its just fear but they have taken to their own levels within the hutch.... The hutch is near to my other bunnies hutch.... They will smell them wont they? cant move them any further away but thought this would be fine as in rescues the hutches are all alongside each other.......

Yeah for some reason they were really close in the shop, since bringing them home they have stayed apart- think its just fear but they have taken to their own levels within the hutch.... The hutch is near to my other bunnies hutch.... They will smell them wont they? cant move them any further away but thought this would be fine as in rescues the hutches are all alongside each other.......

Ruby still has a problem when she goes into a room that one of the other girlies has been in. Ted, on the other hand can go say hi to Pixie (He sneaks upstairs) and doesn't bat an eyelid. I think it's because she's not spayed.

Rescue's pairs are usually spayed/neutered, aren't they. Can you do it so they at least can't see each other. That's when the badness is more likely to ensue.

Ruby still has a problem when she goes into a room that one of the other girlies has been in. Ted, on the other hand can go say hi to Pixie (He sneaks upstairs) and doesn't bat an eyelid. I think it's because she's not spayed.

Rescue's pairs are usually spayed/neutered, aren't they. Can you do it so they at least can't see each other. That's when the badness is more likely to ensue.

yeah we can do that.... i think :D

If you got a board to but between them. (So they can't see through the runs.)

All buns are different, and they might cope perfectly with it.

Saw them on the other thread...they're GORGEOUS!! :love::love: I like Ebony and Ivory!

When I got Delilah, I used to sit with her on my bed. She used to explore and then flop and rest on my leg. I seriosuly think because of having that bonding time, it made her so confidant and friendly.
But with Ogs (who I got first) I let him do his own thing. He is really friendly now but it took ages for his confidance to build up.

But now, I will often have one trying to jump on my shoulder and the other trying to help me clean the hutch :roll::lol:

When I got Delilah, I used to sit with her on my bed. She used to explore and then flop and rest on my leg. I seriosuly think because of having that bonding time, it made her so confidant and friendly.
But with Ogs (who I got first) I let him do his own thing. He is really friendly now but it took ages for his confidance to build up.

But now, I will often have one trying to jump on my shoulder and the other trying to help me clean the hutch :roll::lol:

:lol::lol: Its all really helpful advice, bit worried about how they have seperated themselves though- think its fear?

Hmm it is abit odd. I've never bought two buns at once so cant really help :oops:

It might be fear, but in the shop it must have been quite daunting with so many faces looking at them. I would just keep an eye on them :D
My two are bonded but dont always sit next to each other.

I got my two girls together, and they stayed together as much as possible for comfort. don't know why yours have separated though.

Back