• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diarrhea!

Ciarrai164

New Kit
Hello,
I found a rabbit Sunday, and have been taking care of her, but today when i checked on her, she had had some pretty bad diarrhea. She had not eaten much pellet food, but she hadn't eaten much at all, a couple of small pieces of carrot and some nibbles of some apple. Could it just be too much fruit/veg and not enough pellet food, or is it something else?
On the same note - she now needs a bath, what soap can i use that is safe? I have ferret shampoo, but i worry that it would be too harsh - any suggestions?
Thanks so much!

By the way, I took out the apple and gave her broccoli (hopefully provide more fibre, less sugar) And the diarrhea was very smelly and kind on thick/sticky - don't know if this makes a difference, but i figure more information can't hurt!
PS. I really have no idea how old she is!

Last edited:
:wave: I would get this bunny vet checked asap until then just feed a very very small amount of pellets and mainly hay, good quality hay if possible. Try to feed just one green item like spring greens or herbs like basil and dill just a couple of sprigs, avoid fruit if it is upsetting the tummy. The diet is lacking fibre so you need to ensure plenty of fresh water preferably boiled and cooled down and the vet or pet shop sell a dietry aid called Fibreplex which will help the bunny squirt some onto a basil leaf and wrap it up. It is vital that if this continues you get the bunny vet checked, dehydration as in humans can occur I would imagine and be dangerous.

Ooh meant to add i wouldn't use soap at all if poss just use warm water and only soak the dirty part try not to soak the whole bunny especially not the head, ears, face or chest as it can affect their temperature and be dangerous for them.

Thanks for your help. I took a stool sample to the vet and they said she had coccidiosis. They gave me meds and said she would be fine, but she died this morning.:cry:

Thanks for your help. I took a stool sample to the vet and they said she had coccidiosis. They gave me meds and said she would be fine, but she died this morning.:cry:

Aww I'm so sorry :( but it was such a sweet thing for you to do to try and save her, a lot of people wouldn't of bothered. RIP wee bunny :( xx

oh this is so sad....:cry:
I was reading your post and was thinking what a lucky bunny to be cared for....my bun had diarhia (spelling!) and she wasnt eating or drinking....not even from a bowl (when not well they sometimes cant be bothered to drink form a bottle cause they have to lift their head...so a bowl is always good to have around just in case!) Anyway - the vet advised a piece of apple and a very small amount of honey or fresh pineapple mixed with water to make it tasty and energise her.
Banana is good too as it has potassium which is needed in the body to enable it to absorb the nutrients - after about half hour she was runnign about! Wonderful...!:)
She also had to have her bottom gently cleaned with tepid water....also helped if she sat on an absorbent towel to dry her legs & tail....
The next step was to put her on hay - just hay for a day to see how she went.

I know htis is too late to help but thought it may help next time....
Im so sorry ....RIP little loved bunny!

well done for trying so hard - like mentioned above most people wouldnt know what to do and would definatly not bother going ot a vet!

Bless you!:love:

Back