• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would it be cruel to.....

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
..... have my two outdoor bunnies (who love outside and have been fine and perky all through the coldest winter) stay outside spring, summer, autumn and then bring them into the conservatory in the winter. I would be happy to bring them in to the conserv. if I could let them out in the winter twice a day to play, but someone advised me that as they would have no winter coat it wouldn't be adviseable to even let them out to play and bring em in.

That would mean that they would be out enjoying the fresh air for 3 seasons and then be couped in the house all winter. What do other people do with their house bunnies in the winter? Does anyone let them out to play in the cold? If you don't, are they happy enough? It would really be for my convenience because they are fine in the set up they have as it is nice and snuggly for them and they still get to play in the snow due to their nice thick winter coats.

Any advice, thoughts, comments??? :?

I think if you kept the conservatory cold so that the difference between inside and out wasn't too much, then you could maybe do it. Might be an idea to monitor the temp difference and not let them out if it goes a certain amount below the conservatory temp?

Hello again! I think I posted last time....

For one thing; in my opinion a conservatory isn't the same as inside the rest of the house as they are usually colder so your buns' may end up developing a winter coat anyway. Opinions on indoor buns' going outside during winter are very divided lol.

As for how happy they are - well if you think about it - there is so little daytime in winter they don't get nearly as much time free-ranging anyway so their actual exercise time won't be that much reduced.

Jack loves being indoors I have to say - he's a radiator-hog! ;)

We are still thinking about making it possible for the buns' to come indoors over winter ourselves as it will be much more pleasant for us and obviously a fair bit more comfortable for the buns' and even if they don't free-range in the garden at all over winter they will have a whole room to bounce around in. I hate the thought of hardly seeing Jack when I'm at work all day and it's dark when I go to work and dark when I come home even though I only work 2 full days a week.....

I say do what you feel is best but I do think your buns' would be fine in a conservatory over winter whether you decide to let them outside or not.

Thanks for that. I think I'll end up bringing them in and see how they go. They are exceptionally good at letting me know when they're miffed and will prob make it painfully obvious if they would rather live outside. They already nudge me, get in my feet and run to the back door when they want let out after playing in the house. It's decided! Next winter, Benson Charles and Lola Grace are comin in!!! :lol:

bloke at work does that. it keeps the frost off his bunnies but its still cold enough for them to have a winter coat and go out to play in the day time :D

Hey! Thanks for that - should work then. Benny and Lola wanted to say hi to everybody!!
feb10048.jpg
:wave: :wave:

Opinions vary about letting indoor bunnies out in the cold; it's not just having a winter coat but it can also cause respiratory problems I believe.

It depends how much your bunnies like being outside I guess. Alfie and Bubbles are inside at the moment - Bubbles gets let out for exercise each day and always binkies as soon as her feet touch grass, but she doesn't do that if I let her out for a run about indoors.

Thanks! All buns are gorgeous but I do love these two!! I just wish they liked picked up and cuddled, but I 'm only allowed to stroke!! Prob for the best. I'd only hug em too hard and squeeeeeeeeze the life out of them!! :lol:

Thanks! All buns are gorgeous but I do love these two!! I just wish they liked picked up and cuddled, but I 'm only allowed to stroke!! Prob for the best. I'd only hug em too hard and squeeeeeeeeze the life out of them!! :lol:

LOL Jack is *exactly* the same! He loves being fussed and stroked and loves nose-rubs and adores attention but he does not like being picked up at all. Must be a black bun' thing..... :lol:

LOL Jack is *exactly* the same! He loves being fussed and stroked and loves nose-rubs and adores attention but he does not like being picked up at all. Must be a black bun' thing..... :lol:

Well I don't feel so bad then. I thought it was something I was doing wrong after reading about folk on here with rabbits sitting on them and getting cuddles! Mine will sit on my knee only for the duration of the treats then it's "Oh ****!! We're on her knee!! How did that happen?!" LEAP!! :lol:

Back