• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

post dental care please.....

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
hi everyone, :wave:
have not been on here for ages as coco and rexy have been really well:)
rex has just had a bit of a dental, he had spurs on his back teeth:cry:
when i collected him from the vets, my vet sarah was in the middle of an emergency op on some poor thing:cry:
so with it being a quick pass back to me i forgot to ask is there anything i need to do to help rexy recover??
he has not touched anything , food or drink that i have seen, i have put mushed up pellets in with him and mushed banana too, any advise greatfully recieved ,
thanks xx

Has he had painkiller eg Metacam?

I tend to buy lots of different herbs, cabbage, kale, spinach, carrot tops and grated carrot to try to temp mine if they have had a GA. Mine tend not to eat until later in the evening or during the night after a GA

Make sure you keep him warm for at least 24 hours after the op as it is hard for them to keep up their core body temperature.

Lots of gentle cuddles too.:D

i'm not sure what he has had bless him, when he came home he was all over the place , looking like he was drunk.
he has come round alot now , coco is licking and snuggling up to him, they are indoor bunnies for the winter so he shouldnt get to cold.
i am off to grate some veg right now.
thanks

It may say on your receipt if he has had metacam. If he shows signs of pain you may need to give him some or get some off your vet.

Otherwise, keep tempting him with food (any food) and water and also let him rest to get over the op.

I put a dash of boiling water in to make it tepid and the tend to like it like this - also out of a bowl and not a bottle as they drink more. I think it helps to get the GA out of their system.

Back