• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergency Fostering

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Just a quick note as an episode has happened this afternoon that has meant I have got a foster rabbit? Any tips on what to do regarding quarantine he/she is in their own hutch (small) and appears in good health, just cleaned out and fresh bedding and hay put in, lucky the neighbour realised as bunny only had straw bedding an extra large litter tray full of poops and no food :roll: He is a harlequin rex I think - will post pics later, this has all happened in the last couple of hours so I am a bit rushed at the mo. Any tips welcome

Oh dear :( Good on you for taking him. I can only say what I would do and that is to keep him away from your own buns, wash hands etc after you handle him and get him vet checked asap. Good luck x

Here s/he is not a brilliant pic as it was dark and on phone but, I have never seen a bunny eat so fast and I am wondering when it was fed last:(

I don't think it had ever had hay as it seemed unsure at first but, soon started nom nomming away:)

I have fed some ordinary mix as it would appear from some remnants on the top of the hutch that is what it is used to and a handful of curly kale and a little sprig of basil, just in case bun not used to it. There was half a bottle of water, straw and no food :( The bunny belongs to two children and the parents have separated, I think she may have had a breakdown (she has been drinking), he has left with the children a few days ago apparently, she is in hospital tonight and sadly I think bunny may have been quite low on the list of priorities as his litter tray weighed a ton and was full - bless it was almost overflowing and yet this little darling still used the tray, it is absolutely adorable. Will have to see what happens as the friend is contacting the partner and giving my mobile to let me know what he wants to do, it is a couple of years old I think - do bucks have dewlaps aswell? This is deffo a rex rabbit as the fur is like velvet and I remember Jane saying about the texture of the fur, it's beautiful mottled browns and a bit of grey I think this is a mini rex as it is not as big as Jane's Morse. The food bowl is the one it had so I used that for familiarity and filled it up twice and the bunny didn't stop eating:shock:

DSC00376.jpg

Will try and get some better shots tomorrow in the daylight.

Thanks for the tip about hand washing, I am doing that and being careful I even washed my shoes after cleaning out :oops: Mine are vaccinated and this bun does appear healthy, I will let it have a run in the playpen only though tomorrow rather than round the garden till I know more.

It's nice and cosy now, we have a tarpaulin over the sides of the hutch and I will cover it more at bedtime as the bottom sides are open welded mesh.

Oh yes in your siggie awww, yes it's a small one, I haven't established the sex yet, didn't want to stress it out, but it does have a largish dewlap - yet the body seems thin?:?

Vinnie was small and Danity,where as Claude my blue rex was a big boy,both had dewlaps think there more noticable on rexes

Nice to know bunny is in loving caring hands now xx:love::bunny:

Thanks I don't know whats happening yet though so better not get too attached, I didn't even have time to think about it really, it had no hay or food was in need of cleaning and it was pouring down - these things always seem to happen when its pouring with rain:lol:

Vinnie was small and Danity,where as Claude my blue rex was a big boy,both had dewlaps think there more noticable on rexes

Yes this one is the same colourings as your Vinnie, I am referring to it as he because the name apparently could be 'Jungle' which sounds more male doesn't it, it does have a dewlap which made me think it possibly was female. It's a lovely bunny, I don't think it's been ill-treated just with everything else going on has been forgotten perhaps:(

Back