• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Ulcer

katiesmum

Young Bun
Hi,

I took my rabbit to the vet last Friday as he has an eye ulcer, the vet has given us baytril 0.5ml twice a day, 1.5ml of metacam a day and tiacil, one drop in his eye twice a day, she also gave him an injection of metacam and baytril on Friday. She wants to see him again this Friday and has said that his eye won't show much improvement until near the end of the week but if it hasn't worked by Friday then it isn't going to work and she will need to remove his eye:(

Although his eye seems a little better and Hazel is very well in himself I am really worrying that it isn't getting better, or am I being too impatient and need to give it a few more days. The vet thinks that he will need surgery, but there must be something else we can try before it comes to that?

Hazel didn't cope at all well with his trip to the vet, he was very stressed, breathing very fast, got very hot and scared. It didn't help that I had to wait nearly twenty minutes while they faffed around with which Baytil to give him (and still didn't give me enough), I was in there for 40 mins in total, Hazel in his carrier most of the time. He did calm down a little by the time we got home, but then only ate a little the next day and was very quiet, I thought I might lose him then and wouldn't have been surprised if he had died at the vets, for this reason I really, really don't want him to have to stay in and have surgery, also he is nine years old.

Any ideas please?

Im thinking teeth.
Elongated roots and suchlike...Perhaps your vet should take an xray and see what youre up against!!!???
Im not much use....but sending vibes for him.Dear old man.xx

Back