• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Starbuck's Eyes - Creamy Pus

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi

Starbuck has been having weepy eye problems since I adopted him in October. The vet (rabbit one) has tried two different sorts of drops which havent made much difference. He has had a couple of dentals - the most recent one was last Friday. He has also had his tear ducts flushed once, cant remember when that was but within the last 3-4 months. Generally she doesnt think there is much we can do except try to keep his eyes clean.

Today I have just got in and he had creamy discharge streaming out of both eyes. Normally it is fairly clear discharge.

What does this mean? Does he need to go back to the vet today?

Please help if you can. Thank you.

Helen

Sorry I forgot to say that the vet has suggested that she x-ray him under sedation in a week or so's time so that she can see is going on with his teeth and tear ducts and if there is any more that she can do.

But I havent been able to take him in yet because she prefers it to be on a Monday morning and Colin (my husband) was having his own surgery yesterday (in case you havent seen my other thread.).

Hx

It sounds as though he now has a bacterial infection in the nasolacrimal ducts. So he will need some topical abx treatment from the Vet.

I think your Vet feels that the constant runny eyes are the result of tooth root elongation, skull radiographs would be needed to confirm this.
If tooth root elongation is the problem then the condition is chronic and management includes regular Dentals under GA to burr the crowns down to gum level. This will help reduce the rate of root elongation. Root elongation can be painful so analgesia will be needed at some stage. The runny eyes need bathing and abx drops given if infection occurs again.

Root elongation can *sometimes* cause abscesses to occur, often along the mandible. Prompt Veterinary Treatment is always necessary should abscessation become an issue.

Thank you Jane. :wave: Have been to the vets and got some Baytril for him.

I have also booked him in for his x-ray on Monday morning. Fingers crossed that doesnt clash with my husband coming out of hospital. Everything always comes at once...

Back