• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im in shock.... breeder inbreeding.. why?

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
I am so confused.....

Someone (and I cant reviel, I dont think she is on here but hey...) has bred a doe with her own son.

:shock::shock::shock:

Why would someone do that??

Shes a BRC breeder and everything......

I feel sorry for whoever gets the babies becuase they wont know..... what sort of things can this mean for the babies??

I feel so saddened :(

Why would someone do that??

Shes a BRC breeder and everything......

Because she doesn't give a stuff about the health of the Rabbit's just what they look like. That enables the moron to get some pathetic satisfaction at having the supposed 'perfect example of the breed'. :censored:

'Perfect' my :censored: The poor Rabbit's are likely to be riddled with congenital problems :cry:

As for 'being a BRC Breeder'. It means NOTHING other than the ability to pay a subsciption to a club :roll:

Well, this thread has gotten me suitably tuned up and it's only 6am............:?

Because she doesn't give a stuff about the health of the Rabbit's just what they look like. That enables the moron to get some pathetic satisfaction at having the supposed 'perfect example of the breed'. :censored:

'Perfect' my :censored: The poor Rabbit's are likely to be riddled with congenital problems :cry:

As for 'being a BRC Breeder'. It means NOTHING other than the ability to pay a subsciption to a club :roll:

Well, this thread has gotten me suitably tuned up and it's only 6am............:?

Sorry :(

I am overwhelmingly disgusted because it was Rimmis mum and Rimmis brother (that I have nothing to do with, I spy on the website....) that mated. Rimmis mum has now died and the kits are being raised by another doe. Its very sad indeed *sigh*

Sorry :(

I am overwhelmingly disgusted because it was Rimmis mum and Rimmis brother (that I have nothing to do with, I spy on the website....) that mated. Rimmis mum has now died and the kits are being raised by another doe. Its very sad indeed *sigh*

I gave up trying to 'understand' the mindset of Breeders a long time ago.

I gave up trying to 'understand' the mindset of Breeders a long time ago.

I think thats probably what I have to do I just cant get my head around it, I really do have a mental block, doesnt help I havent been to bed yet because I am so frustrated.... but why, she has plenty of bucks and does.... so why son and daughter?? Its just wrong!! Only two kits were born but I really do feel sorry for the people who will buy them and it makes me think..... what about Rimmi? Is he inbred too? I know who his mum and dad is, but whos to say they arent brother and sister? *sigh*

The genetic consequences of inbreeding are well known and have been for some time.:cry:

As the BRC also refers to many of their members as "experienced breeders", they presumably also know all about inbreeding. Many of them may well do it frequently, as part of their quest for "the perfect rabbit".:shock:

However, the BRC Code of Practice regarding the sale of rabbits states the following (amongst other things):

"The rabbit should be free from all known rabbit diseases and should appear fit and healthy".

So, presumably, the inbreeding is just "overlooked" when it comes to selling rabbits and taking the money? :evil:

The genetic consequences of inbreeding are well known and have been for some time.:cry:

As the BRC also refers to many of their members as "experienced breeders", they presumably also know all about inbreeding. Many of them may well do it frequently, as part of their quest for "the perfect rabbit".:shock:

However, the BRC Code of Practice regarding the sale of rabbits states the following (amongst other things):

"The rabbit should be free from all known rabbit diseases and should appear fit and healthy".

So, presumably, the inbreeding is just "overlooked" when it comes to selling rabbits and taking the money? :evil:

The poor babies :cry: I hope it doesnt make them sick, theyre not available to leave until the 6th April, I just want to go and pinch them *sob*

The poor babies :cry: I hope it doesnt make them sick, theyre not available to leave until the 6th April, I just want to go and pinch them *sob*

I saw an American breeding website that actually recommended inbreeding to get particular characteristics, but recognised the risks and warned ominously that "culling will need to be very severe".:evil:

Unfortunately, genetics appears to be more "probabilities" than "certainties" so it's difficult to predict which ones will be sick.:cry:

I do understand how you feel, you have very close connections with these rabbits.:)

I saw an American breeding website that actually recommended inbreeding to get particular characteristics, but recognised the risks and warned ominously that "culling will need to be very severe".:evil:

Unfortunately, genetics appears to be more "probabilities" than "certainties" so it's difficult to predict which ones will be sick.:cry:

I do understand how you feel, you have very close connections with these rabbits.:)

I am hoping that both babies, boy and girl, DONT have anything wrong with them, seems the breeder isnt keeping either but I really hope, for the buns sake, they go to knowledgable people, in case something does go wrong. :?

The way I see it...and I'm not condoning it at all....is that there's "inbreeding" and "line breeding"

brother and sister is a big no no, but father to daughter isn't. :?
again, not condoning it, but after reading up on it, this is what I gathered.

i know alot of people that do line breeding.i think that they do it to enable them to keep the strength of their lines?:?

i know alot of people that do line breeding.i think that they do it to enable them to keep the strength of their lines?:?

'Strength'? Do you mean show-ability? or do you mean health and longevity? If it's the former...line-breeding is fine. If it's the latter...then line-breeding is always going to fail in the end because reducing a gene pool generation after generation is going to bring out genetic problems at some point.

Most breeders tend to breed for show-ability, so it doesn't really matter to them if the rabbit only lives a short life.

I agree that I thought this was common practice. I know it used to be with horses (in the nineties) cos I know someone that did it with her Arabs

I thought it was reasonably common as well. I've heard it done with reptiles when a new colour mutation pops up. Normally the animal in question is then bred back to one of the parents to see if more of that colour pop out.

It's why I'll never make the effort to buy a particular breed or colour morph. I'll just stick with my nastly little cross-breed bunnies and my wild type coloured snakes that I got cheap because they're a bad colour apparently.:lol:

:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

like I said (I have met this woman) I wouldn't have put it past her lack of intelligence to even think about what affects her interbreeding would have.

Was she clear what Meeko died of? Not in birth I hope?

Back