• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at Home continued - APPEAL FOR DATA PLEASE!

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
To carry on from the DISGUSTING news about Pets at Home's proposed Easter deal, I was wondering if rescue centres or anyone who has taken in rabbits would be willing to provide figures on how many of the rabbits they have taken in over the past year have originally come from pets at home?

I know that this is something that is not always known but, if any rescues have any that they know of, would they be willing to share so that I could put the figures together? (all rescues will remain anonymous in report)

A story to back up your figures would also be GREAT if possible!

Thank you for your help :wave:

Last edited:
My two were bought from Pets at Home just before Christmas if that helps any. Bought in December, first posted on Gumtree in January :censored: I had seen them but when I still kept seeing their ad in the middle of February, I just couldn't leave them anymore.

They also were bought with a 4ft hutch (the woman described as 'HUGE!').

Max who I rehomed to Fran on here was originally from pets at home, he was only a few months old when I took him in, the woman had had him 6-8 weeks, he also has a 4ft hutch (which the owner said was massive)

My two were bought from Pets at Home just before Christmas if that helps any. Bought in December, first posted on Gumtree in January :censored: I had seen them but when I still kept seeing their ad in the middle of February, I just couldn't leave them anymore.

They also were bought with a 4ft hutch (the woman described as 'HUGE!').

That's great, thank you :)

Yes, ANYONE (not just rescues) who has taken on rabbits who originally came from Pets at Home, I would be interested in hearing from.

I have a feeling Make Mine Chocolate are currently doing some similar research - might be worth contacting The Duchess ?

Max who I rehomed to Fran on here was originally from pets at home, he was only a few months old when I took him in, the woman had had him 6-8 weeks, he also has a 4ft hutch (which the owner said was massive)

So, just to be clear that I have understood, someone purchased a rabbit from P@H and decided, within 6-8 weeks, to get rid of him.:roll:

Had she not benefitted from the "comprehensive P@H advice" from their legions of "knowledgeable and trained staff" about the commitments required.:censored:

In respect of those on this thread seeking data on those rabbits that were originally purchased from P@H and then disposed of in some way, perhaps a more accurate figure would be:
  • Those that arrive at rescues (the 'lucky' ones).
  • Plus those that have been re-sold on the numerous free-ads outlets, etc.
Of course, information on the latter item will be almost impossible to obtain.

So, just to be clear that I have understood, someone purchased a rabbit from P@H and decided, within 6-8 weeks, to get rid of him.:roll:

Yep, she was surprised the cat was chasing him and thought it better to rehome him rather than buy a run :roll: Also coincided with a holiday :roll:

I have a Pets at Home bun - sold to a lady for her 5 year old .

Sold with a 3ft hutch and said to be 'ideal' for living on small balcony (they had no garden as live in a flat, so asked for a balcony pet).

They were given no verbal advice to neuter or any advice on the fact that he would have poor eyesight etc and might be difficult for the 5 year old to handle (he is a large REW 'dwarf' lop male - about 2.8 kilos). They were given a leaflet but speak little English and the leaflet was in English! (they were Turkish).

She was desperate to re-home him after 4 months . . she tried asking around the junior school but thankfully someone alerted me and I took him.

I also have two sisters from the PAH adoption scheme. They were sold by PAH at then brought back, and re-homed by PAH and brought back, and then seperated and put singly into adoption as they had started to fight. When I took them they were hard to handle due to such an awful start in life - they are fine now and especially once neutered.

I suspect that a few of my others are also ex PAH but these are the ones I know full history of.

I was wondering if rescue centres or anyone who has taken in rabbits would be willing to provide figures on how many of the rabbits they have taken in over the past year

This is already being done by make mine chocolate. you should contact them as they already have information and it is silly to duplicate.

Back