• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My scary weekend, doe spayed and even more admiration for people with sick bunnies

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: Just a little note to say my doe Ness went in on Friday for her spay and although the op went well, they burred a slight spur aswell and apparently she did eat after the op but, on returning home she didn't :roll: We had made her a little zone upstairs in the spare room and there is a bed in there so I slept in with her, she didn't eat at all so by Saturday early evening almost 24 hours after coming home and after speaking on here to Leanne we took her back to the vets and she was given sub cut fluids, metaclop and I was given Metacam for her, the wound looked fine and clean. I gave her the Metacam with not too much resistance although she wasn't impressed either and grunted and lunged afterwards then on stroking her found a tick on her ear:shock: It had obviously eaten it's fill as by the time I ran to get tweezers it had dropped onto her shoulder, it was promptly popped and killed :evil:

Anyway she still wouldn't eat on her own and by Sunday afternoon I made the decision to move her outside (she is an outdoor bun) in the hope that being in her own environment as opposed to the house might help her relax more. She did seem more relaxed but by the evening I was starting to worry again as not eating:( and they had already said they would admit her if she wouldn't eat, she was throwing an absolute strop if I went anywhere near her with the syringe and I was caught in the wanting to intervene but, not stress her out scenario, I rang Leanne, she advised me cruel to be kind and persist to get the Metacam done and some critical care. Did that and she started eating on her own last night :shock: and this morning tucked into her brekkie and tonight her dinner :D She has done poops and is weeing fine but, they are still slightly smaller than normal but, hopefully we are on the up now. I have found the whole thing so scary and stressful in the sense I hated upsetting her but had to in order to help her. I just wanted to share my weekend with you and say that to all those peeps with sick bunnies you have my admiration, I don't know how you do it, just a weekend of it has drained me, it's such a horrible feeling and then when you turn the corner it's the best feeling. She is such a brave girlie and my vets have come up trumps so really pleased. :)

Aww glad she is on the mend now. They really dont get it when we are trying to help do they?! I really dont get how people deal with chronically ill animals, i'd be useless outside the veterinary hospital!

Aww glad she's feeling a little better. I know how you feel as when Stew and Belle were spayed, Stew didn't recover too quickly and had to go back the next day. I was worried because of her spinal problem i had done the wrong thing putting her through an operation.
When she was ill and couldn't walk at all i cried everyday and looking after her was tiring, but thanks to Ru, i got the strength to help her get through it,
It must be so draining for people with sick buns, epecially more than one,they are fantastic people for doing what they do for them :)

Thanks everyone, it's so hard not wanting to be obsessive but, trying to watch and get her to eat, I do think without a doubt that they pick up stress vibes, as soon as I backed off and she was out in her own little shed and after I gave her the pain relief she was almost a different rabbit. It really makes me appreciate how hard it must be for all those with more than one that is ill aswell. I absolutely adore her even if she is a little madam at times, at one point she actually hit the syringe with her front paw like a bat and sent it flying:lol: I can laugh now but, at the time it was horrible.

Glad she is feeling better, I don't know how Liz does it, I am falling to pieces with 2 terminally ill bunnies :(

Glad she is feeling better, I don't know how Liz does it, I am falling to pieces with 2 terminally ill bunnies :(

Awww no I don't either, I am sorry to hear you have 2 poorly ones to cope with, I can imagine how draining it must be, I suppose if you know they are terminal it's even more sad :( Sending strength vibes for you xx

Im glad Ness is now nomming - stroppy madame :lol::lol:

Mind you - you cant blame her - i wouldnt be too happy if someone came near me with a syringe! They dont realise its for their own good.

I know what you mean - I also dont know how people cope with continous ill bunnies - I guess they have so much experience and have the 'knack' to administer medicine..

When I had to give Oreo Baytril It was a nightmare -it took 2 of us to do it and I even squirted it in OH face once :oops: it went everywhere! I hated doing that for 2 weeks - he hated it.

Hope Ness continues to improve... you just have a bonding to do next :shock::lol: Im sure my blood pressure has risen since ive been a bunny owner!!

Im glad Ness is now nomming - stroppy madame :lol::lol:

Mind you - you cant blame her - i wouldnt be too happy if someone came near me with a syringe! They dont realise its for their own good.

I know what you mean - I also dont know how people cope with continous ill bunnies - I guess they have so much experience and have the 'knack' to administer medicine..

When I had to give Oreo Baytril It was a nightmare -it took 2 of us to do it and I even squirted it in OH face once :oops: it went everywhere! I hated doing that for 2 weeks - he hated it.

Hope Ness continues to improve... you just have a bonding to do next :shock::lol: Im sure my blood pressure has risen since ive been a bunny owner!!

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Kath that bit about the Baytril is funny, my OH was 'trying' to help me aswell, in the end I think he was more of a hindrance, we were both so worried about hurting her because of her wound and she is so strong, she was literally running rings round me at one point:roll: I told him to go away in the end:lol:

Awwwh! I'm glad Ness is ok! It's such a worry when they decide to scare you by not eating! :roll::lol:

I seem to be one of those people who's having ill bunny after ill bunny at the moment... I think I'm just about used to medicating and what not now but I'm so jealous of people who don't seem to have any bunny problems - the lucky gits! :lol:

Awwwh! I'm glad Ness is ok! It's such a worry when they decide to scare you by not eating! :roll::lol:

I seem to be one of those people who's having ill bunny after ill bunny at the moment... I think I'm just about used to medicating and what not now but I'm so jealous of people who don't seem to have any bunny problems - the lucky gits! :lol:

Awww I am really sorry Georgie I can imagine how hard that must be, I've just been out to Ness for a while and she is most deffo on the mend, just yomfed some curly kale, so relieved to have her back to her old self. My heart really goes out to the sick bunnies and their owners. x

:wave: Thanks Vicki :) It's not so bad really.

It all started off in october when Diego got EC and an inner ear infection. I lost him. :'( Then Thistle got syphillis which the vet misdiagnosed as myxi (sleepless nights abound until I found RU and they nudged me in the right direction!) so Thistle and Jess both went through a course of penicillin injections. As soon as that ended Daphne went in for a dental. Then Barley got the runs really bad which I fixed with a food change and some fibreplex. Jess then got EC which I just finished treating (her and Thistle) last week. Daphne had to go back for another dental and have her incisors out. And now Marge seems to have decided that actually, she is starting to feel old and decrepid and seems to be giving up the ghost on me.

I think I've been medicating one pet or another for so long now that it's almost second nature. It's stuff that needs to be done so I think I'm just busy getting on with it and dealing with each thing as it happens. Luckily, all the buns are very good patients and I haven't had any trouble getting them to eat their food or take their medicine or anything. :)

I'm dying for there to be a month when I have enough money left to buy myself a new top or something though! :roll::lol:

:wave: Thanks Vicki :) It's not so bad really.

It all started off in october when Diego got EC and an inner ear infection. I lost him. :'( Then Thistle got syphillis which the vet misdiagnosed as myxi (sleepless nights abound until I found RU and they nudged me in the right direction!) so Thistle and Jess both went through a course of penicillin injections. As soon as that ended Daphne went in for a dental. Then Barley got the runs really bad which I fixed with a food change and some fibreplex. Jess then got EC which I just finished treating (her and Thistle) last week. Daphne had to go back for another dental and have her incisors out. And now Marge seems to have decided that actually, she is starting to feel old and decrepid and seems to be giving up the ghost on me.

I think I've been medicating one pet or another for so long now that it's almost second nature. It's stuff that needs to be done so I think I'm just busy getting on with it and dealing with each thing as it happens. Luckily, all the buns are very good patients and I haven't had any trouble getting them to eat their food or take their medicine or anything. :)

I'm dying for there to be a month when I have enough money left to buy myself a new top or something though! :roll::lol:

Blimey Georgie, I suppose after a while you must get used to it as you say it kind of becomes routine, I hope Marge comes back for you, maybe with the warmer weather coming. You sound like you are due some good luck so hoping it turns around for you and you can treat yourself. You certainly deserve a treat by the sounds of it. x

I only have Marge on medication at the moment so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! :lol:

I'm not really sure what's wrong with Marge - I took her to the vet as she was dribbling really badly. They looked at her teeth with a scope and said they were fine but her gums were quite sore (I think this could be due to having her food changed from muesli stuff to Excell - I can imagine Excell being quite rough on a buns mouth if they're not used to it) so she has been given Metacam to see if that reduced the inflamation. Since that vet visit, she seems to have stopped dribbling but now appears to be getting really stiff legs and she moves about ever so slowly. She is still eating well so hopefully she will cheer up when the weather warms up a bit. She's at least 8/9 so I guess her slowing down is only to be expected.

It's pay day on friday and this month is profit share month!!! WOOOOOOT! New top here I come! :lol:

Back