• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

WHAT ELSE CAN GO WRONG.... Poor GIZMO :( VIBES PLEASE

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
:cry::cry: Hello again

I am at my wits end what to do with/ for gizmo and desperatly need some advice. I will keep this as brief as possible and pray someone can think of things that might help :cry:
Story starts 4wks ago....
1. Gizmo had to have incizers removed and slowly learnt to eat again. The vet was amazed at how well he was doing.... so were we :)
2. Gizmo goes for check up... weight 2.95kg he is a bit overweight :oops: so got to reduce pellets a bit. He has an irritated eye and nose from having teeth out so has a anti biotic, drops and cream. [vet pops in after work to see him. She is very caring :)]
3. Gizmo is still doing well with eatting but has bad diareha .... [ongoing stomach trouble since birth]... Vet sees him and is concerned... in a week he has gone from 2.95kg to 2.55kg :cry: Vet gives him Vitamin B jab and says up the pellets and only needs drops now.
4. Gizmo doesn't want to do anything. If we manage to get him out of his hutch he lays under the table but mainly even if we leave his hutch open all day he won't come out unless made to :cry:

His weight has gone down again from 2.55kg to 2.2kg.... in 4days. He seems to be eatting and drinking fine and pooing and no diareha so we are confused and scared. Please advise :cry::cry::cry:

I have a dental bunny (he has tummy probs too sometimes). About a month ago we noticed he lost a weight and I mentioned it to the vet at his regular dental. We were told to keep close eye. 5 days later he was showing discomfort and very flat so we rushed him to the vet.

They kept him in on fluids and sent some bloods away. They came back low red and white blood cells and then further bloods were done. X-rays were taken after the results were back but nothing was obvious to be causing the pain (his spine has some slight prob but vet did not think it would be that). He is on very low dose of metacam for inflammation and seems fine now.

I am wondering if he was a bit stressed from a major dental in January and it was his bodies way of coping. He will be having bloods taken again in a couple of weeks to see if they have returnedto normal.

After my waffle, what I am trying to say is that it might be worth asking your vet for some bloods to be taken, also a stool sample to be analysed. It could be because of teeth but this is only speculation.:?

This must be so worrying for you.

My dental bun reacted badly after one dental. The problem seemed to be a combination of the antibiotics affecting him badly exacerbated by him stopping eating when the pain relief wore off - so the abx were n top of an empty tummy.

He seems to have developed a painful muscle spasm in his jaws due to them being clamped open for so long whilst the dental work was being carried out.

He ended up with diarrhoea which led to bloat etc etc.

We took him off those abx and went on to metranidozal instead once we were sure he was eating again. We also gave tagamet (against ulcers) whilst giving the metacam.

You sound like you have a very caring vet and hopefully they can get to the bottom of this.

Can they re-check the teeth/jaw without putting him under GA?

Awww no advice just vibes that he perks up and gets well without any more stressful intervention. Sending calming vibes for you xx

spoke to the vet

Hi all thanks for all the advise. Gizmo was so low i ended up phoning the vet last night. She said to put him back on metacam in case it is pain related [if he picks up with metacam he has to go into the vets to try and work out what is hurting him]
It could be frustration because he can't do certain things without teeth. Or it could be that he is lonely :shock:
Her solution for either of these is to get him a female companion as she would help him groom etc. Only problem is OH doesn't want any more bunnies. :( We both want Gizmo happy but he really doesn't want to get another bunny. He thinks if we get gizmo a companion then we have to get yoshi one and although it won't seem a lot to most people on here, he doesn't want 4 bunnies as he feels we won't be able to give them all enough attention :shock: Any suggestions????

Back